What's new

I'm a new shaver of the female variety

A bit of information: I'm 18, live in Pennsylvania, and my name (obviously) is Grace. I enjoy canines, playing music, Jesus, and high-fiving. I saw someone mentioning their safety razor somewhere else on the web a couple months ago and was intrigued enough to do some digging. Naturally, I ended up here, at what seems to be the mecca for all wet shavers.

Currently, I'm working with a Parker 90R, an Omega Professional boar brush, Van Der Hagen deluxe soap, experimenting with Shark and Personna blades (the Sharks came with the razor, the Personnas were purchased at Rite-Aid), and using rubbing alcohol and vitamin E lotion post-shave.

Thus far, irritation has definitely been reduced, and I have few issues between me and a perfect shave. They are: My own patience (will probably go with a shavestick type set-up for this), a consistently good shave over all of my legs (improvement in my technique should solve this), and knowing when to change my blade (practice, practice, practice).

I'm a minimalist (although you couldn't tell by my post, it's turning into a novel), and ideally, where I see this whole wetshaving thing ending up is me with one razor, one blade, one soap, and one brush that all work perfectly together in giving me a great shave. That's why I've joined up here.

welcome to this great forum. I enjoy what goes on here. :) My wife is new to wetshaving and she can help a bit and there are other very helpful women on this forum. :) I am glad to have you here. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help out.

Welcome to a fellow female!!!
Def get you some witch hazel. Take is slow. Use no pressure. The weight of the razor and blade is enough.

Sweet alaskan asparagus tips. That was fast. Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. I'm adding witch hazel to my mental checklist.

You can melt the VDH Deluxe and make your own shave stick, by the way. All you need is an appropriate applicator/container.

I've seen instructions on how to do this several places and have some ideas for containers; do you know if the one pictured is a former deodorant carrier?

+3 on the witch hazel...I'm laughing cuz when I first read about it, I thought these guys were crazy. It feels great and it rocks.

Over an area the size of your legs, it will be a big improvement over alcohol.

If you're just starting be very careful. An old girlfriend really messed up once using a DE after years of cartridges. Slow- NO pressure- watch angle....

Last edited:
I would say grab a blade sample pack from West Coast Shaving and see what works and what doesn't, the pack should last a long time and you'll be able to nail down your one blade. As far as soaps go there's a multitude available at good prices so just shop around, read reviews, have fun.

Welcome! If you're looking for shave sticks you can find some great ones at http://www.bear-haven.com. All her stuff is reasonably priced and is amazing in terms of quality.

I agree that you should dump the alcohol as an aftershave splash. I prefer splashes with alcohol myself, but straight up is pretty harsh.

As always, when you shave, make sure you go with the grain first. Many women that I talk to about shaving always seem to go only against the grain.

I've seen instructions on how to do this several places and have some ideas for containers; do you know if the one pictured is a former deodorant carrier?

I know for a fact that it is. Mitchum, I believe. The translucency was helpful in seeing if it was leaking internally. At least one of the soap vendors on the forum (Mama Bear's) sells empty round shave stick dispensers as well.

Top Bottom