What's new

British view of British fragrance houses?

Obviously, English fragrances like Penhaligon's, Trumpers, Floris, etc. get a lot of love here on B&B. These fragrances are relatively uncommon in the U.S., and it seems they carry connotations, at least on B&B, of being refined, gentlemanly, old-worldish, and so on. I'm wondering if any of the British guys can tell us if these houses are perceived the same way over there, or if they are viewed differently. (I realize the answer doesn't matter in terms of enjoyment of the fragrance. I'm just curious.)

Last edited:
Obviously, English fragrances like Penhaligon's, Trumpers, Floris, etc. get a lot of love here on B&B. These fragrances are relatively uncommon in the U.S., and it seems they carry connotations, at least on B&B, of being refined, gentlemanly, old-worldish, and so on. I'm wondering if any of the British guys can tell us if these houses are perceived the same way over there, or if they are viewed differently. (I realize the answer doesn't matter in terms of enjoyment of the fragrance. I'm just curious.)

To be honest I don't know anyone apart from myself (obviously) who uses any of these companies. Everyone I know uses the mainstream fragrances ck and armani etc. I don't think my friends would have heard of Trumpers and the like. They would probably think it odd that I don't wear ck, armani or whatever.
To me, I think of them like you described. I guess its the power of advertising and marketing that makes the mainstream designers the go to choice for many people.

Exactly...most of my English friends wouldn't know what or who these fragrance houses are, they are happy spending the same sort of money on fragrances that are recognised by others which unfortunately is partly the point of them.

I think the products you mention are perceived in exactly the same way in the UK as they are in the USA.

You really only find out about these things if you make a conscious effort. But as with most things in life if you make the effort, the rewards are usually well worth while. I'm just glad they still make them.

With the pressures of modern life, most people don't see beyond the supermarket shelves and don't have the time or inclination to chase up the real good stuff.

Interesting. Once again rank commer......m destroys another unique aspect of world society...

I wouldn't say that. These products have always been more fringe and were never really intended to be mass-marketed. I think it's pretty much as it's always been, but the more popular products are even more prominent due to mass media.

The presence of high quality products is uniform in quantity, whereas modern commer......m results in a hyperabundance of marginal quality vis-a-vis early forms of economics.

I wouldn't say that. These products have always been more fringe and were never really intended to be mass-marketed. I think it's pretty much as it's always been, but the more popular products are even more prominent due to mass media.

The presence of high quality products is uniform in quantity, whereas modern commer......m results in a hyperabundance of marginal quality vis-a-vis early forms of economics.

I agree...I also think none of us would so enamored of our Trumper's shave cream, TOBS, C&S No. 88, Penhaligan's etc if it were commonly available in every Walgreeens, CVS, Duane Reade etc. There is some fun in having to work a little to get all this stuff; DE blades and everything that goes with it.

Secondarily, were these companies we so favor to start massive ad campaigns, and mass marketing, the money has to come from somewhere. They're already pricey. They either mark it up more, or compromise on the product.

I'm getting the impression from our British brothers that their chain stores aren't exactly stocked with these high end items either. Probably a bit easier to find in a local retail location though. I'm in the second largest US city and have to scarmble all over the place to find the good stuff.

I'm getting the impression from our British brothers that their chain stores aren't exactly stocked with these high end items either. Probably a bit easier to find in a local retail location though. I'm in the second largest US city and have to scarmble all over the place to find the good stuff.

True but I think you'd be surprised how little if any high end product is really easily available locally. We have the ubiquitous Palmolive, Erasmic and WS like you have your Williams or VDH but I have lived and worked in and around London for years and even then I still purchased all my high end product by mail order or on-line. It's cheaper and just more convenient, of course I like to visit the temples in St James Street on occasion but I never buy from there. Unfortunately the local shops are usually dominated by Gillette unless you happen to live near or in a wealthier town or city with a healthy tourist population that can support a shop selling high end products.

It is probably about the same view that Americans might have toward Caswell-Massey, America's oldest chemists and perfumers, Est. 1752

I agree with the previous posts. I personally had not heard of any of the famous chemists before B&B set my wallet ablaze! :ohmy:

I can find more of the high end shaving stuff in TK Maxx than I can in the High Street. To be honest, you have to search for the low end stuff as well. There's always Body Shop.

Gareth

I can find more of the high end shaving stuff in TK Maxx than I can in the High Street. To be honest, you have to search for the low end stuff as well. There's always Body Shop.

Gareth

Me too this week i got 2 x TOBS rose shave cream 1 x Pecksniffs citrus and 2 x Mr Taylor aftershave balm at TK Maxx
i also went to Bluewater shopping mall and out of curiosity asked at both John Lewis & House of Fraser for Trumpers OR TOBS and they didnt have a clue what i was talking about! but they did have Floris

Certainly seems as though the nobs use them - they all seem to have a royal appointment crest as an entry requirement.

I don't think it matters where you live. The brands you listed above have a long track record of producing quality products, and that is why they have a certain mystique about them. They're also classy and unique, which generally appeals to this crowd.

-Andy

Gareth

I'm sorry, but this is a revelation to me. Is TK Maxx the British sister-store to TJ Maxx?

Top Bottom