What's new

Private School's v. Public Schools

Public or private school for my kids?

• Public

• Private

• Home school

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was just curious how many have children in either. I don't want this to get out of hand and have teachers being bashed but everyone has their reasoning.

My 4 year old goes to private Catholic school and 3 year old goes to the day care center. I take them for 1. religious teaching and 2. I went to Catholic school and had a great education. Not at all that we could afford it but because of our economic situation my parents paid very little and I was awarded scholarships.

I don't believe any one is better than the other. If I would have went to private schools in the neighborhoods I grew up in, there would be no way I would have made it out alive let alone an education. I needed structure and discipline which came from my home and school. So it worked for me. I have a niece and nephew who went to one of the most prestigious schools in southern CA and neither went to college and still live at home.

As most topics are civil, let's keep this one the same.

I have an autistic 13 year old in the public schools. He's in the mainstream for all 8th grade classes except for math where he takes an AP class and is getting HS credit for algebra. He also has a 1 on 1 aide with him to make sure that he stays on task. So, for him private school is not an option.

My middle child just entered into middle school. We had considered a public for him since he's been a public school product all of his life. However, we've sent him to catholic school and he's finally gotten motivated. Before he'd get B's and had A grade potential but never applied himself. At Catholic school he brought home nearly straight A's and made the honor roll. Plus, he's far more active. He's in the band, doing science olympics and is looking to play Lacrosse in the spring. He's flourishing in the environment and this is a kid with Tourettes and had an IEP in grade school.

My daughter is in 2nd grade and has been in catholic school since kindergarten. We could have put her in the same grade school as her brothers but we decided to put her in catholic school from the start. This gave her an identity of her own and she didn't have to deal with being the sister of two kids with IEP's to the teachers. It's been a good choice since she's doing very well academically.

So, for us we're using both and have placed our children where they are best suited. All are doing well in school, are getting a good education and are happy where they are.

Not really a safe topic, I agree. My older son started in public school after going to rather modest, I suppose, private preschools. In fairness to the public schools in my area, which are supposed to be very good, it was a stressed time with a huge school aged population, and the particular elementary school he was going to had gone through a lot of changes due to change in leadership. But it seemed pretty bad. Large class sizes, disorganization, massive busy work. So after 2 years we started him at a private school one of his preschool teachers had really thought we should send him to.

And his younger brother went there from the beginning. It was a huge investment and sacrifice, and I am not saying that they could not have done well wherever they went, and there is nothing perfect at any school, but they thrived and got extraordinary educations. Smaller class size all by itself seems like a good thing. Also, they both got to play sports that they may not have been able to at a large public school, and sports did them a world of good.

I went to Catholic school and had a great education. Not at all that we could afford it but because of our economic situation my parents paid very little and I was awarded scholarships....If I would have went to private schools in the neighborhoods I grew up in, there would be no way I would have made it out alive let alone an education. I needed structure and discipline which came from my home and school. So it worked for me. I have a niece and nephew who went to one of the most prestigious schools in southern CA and neither went to college and still live at home.

As most topics are civil, let's keep this one the same.

Did you word that right? Didn't you mean to say that you would have been in trouble if you'd gone to public schools? Are you saying that your parents could or couldn't afford it?

Why do you start topics that you anticipate will get out of hand?

- Chris

I have an autistic 13 year old in the public schools. He's in the mainstream for all 8th grade classes except for math where he takes an AP class and is getting HS credit for algebra. He also has a 1 on 1 aide with him to make sure that he stays on task. So, for him private school is not an option.

My middle child just entered into middle school. We had considered a public for him since he's been a public school product all of his life. However, we've sent him to catholic school and he's finally gotten motivated. Before he'd get B's and had A grade potential but never applied himself. At Catholic school he brought home nearly straight A's and made the honor roll. Plus, he's far more active. He's in the band, doing science olympics and is looking to play Lacrosse in the spring. He's flourishing in the environment and this is a kid with Tourettes and had an IEP in grade school.

My daughter is in 2nd grade and has been in catholic school since kindergarten. We could have put her in the same grade school as her brothers but we decided to put her in catholic school from the start. This gave her an identity of her own and she didn't have to deal with being the sister of two kids with IEP's to the teachers. It's been a good choice since she's doing very well academically.

So, for us we're using both and have placed our children where they are best suited. All are doing well in school, are getting a good education and are happy where they are.

Wow..that's great to hear. Sometimes kids and certain schools just mesh well.

I'm doing tuition for two of my preschool age grandhchildren in private school. The classes are quite a bit smaller and the curriculum much more challenging than what was offered by our public preschool. Whether they will continue once kindergarten starts is not yet determined. Statistically the kids who continue thru 6th grade are about two years ahead of the public school children.

It is a Lutheran school (I personally am Methodist and some familly Methodist or agnostic). The kids go to chapel once a week. Even for those that are 'undecided', learning 'do unto others', personal responsibility, compassion and grace teachings are not a bad thing IMO.

Ulrimately, my only hope is that these kids receive a good foundation for wherever they end up in their later years.
Sue

Did you word that right? Didn't you mean to say that you would have been in trouble if you'd gone to public schools? Are you saying that your parents could or couldn't afford it?

Why do you start topics that you anticipate will get out of hand?

- Chris

Some discussions are best just left ignored. Like I said, if someone can't be an adult and have a civil conversation about what someone want's to talk about then it should best be left alone.

Public schools have served my family well for generations. We're fortunate to have lived in districts with strong programs and safe environments. I'm well aware of the problems faced in some places, but if the local public schools provide strong academic programs, the benefits of interacting with kids from other religious, racial, and economic backgrounds will help a kid become a better adult. For people fortunate enough to live in a good school district, public education is the backbone of democracy.

B

bluefoxicy

My daughter is in 2nd grade and has been in catholic school since kindergarten.

I mock catholic school girls. They all grow up the same way... they're perfectly well behaved right through year one of college. Eventually they become over-indulgent.

I partly blame the parents for figuring nuns will raise their kids, and for thinking that the school will drill "good moral values" into their kids. "Good moral values" means don't explore any... ahem... curiosity you may have.... Do you know what happens next? They go out into the world to be adults; slowly realize they can do what they want; and then do a lot of everything. A LOT of everything.

Part of this is mental suppression. A HUGE part of this is mental suppression. Parents don't want to talk to their kids, things get buried, they don't even think about those things you don't want them thinking about. They don't figure anything out for themselves, they don't ask you any questions, and then one day they realize they have questions and they find answers the fun way.

Alcohol works the same way. To many near-college kids (17-20), alcohol is so freaking special, it's something they fight to get. Then when they have easy access and minimal exposure (say they got drunk once when 18, then got to college and have 3 friends the first day that always have tons of alcohol), they're drunk all the time, and alcoholics. This is not a problem in countries where teenagers can have a beer at a restaurant if their parents buy it for them... and they wind up drinking beer regularly, but only 1 or 2. Oh look... beer... I've had beer before, a few of 'em gives me a buzz.

Anyway. Silly rant. Remember school isn't a substitution for parents. Also remember I love chaos, so I'm not particularly worried if you actually ignore your kids figuring the school will raise them, as long as they grow up polite and drug-free (catholic school does this-- they may have questionable moral centers in the end, but they're not stupid, and they're not thugs).

Also understand that I really, really hate kids. My only interest in education and parenting is I hate ******* adults too. I live in baltimore FFS, people shoot at you, and occasionally cut off your hand darth-vader style with a samurai sword.

Public schools have served my family well for generations. We're fortunate to have lived in districts with strong programs and safe environments. I'm well aware of the problems faced in some places, but if the local public schools provide strong academic programs, the benefits of interacting with kids from other religious, racial, and economic backgrounds will help a kid become a better adult. For people fortunate enough to live in a good school district, public education is the backbone of democracy.

Very well put.

I'm sure everyone does what they believe will give their kids the best possible chance in life. I personally believe religious instruction has no place in schools. My children will go to a non-denominational school where i'm sure the will be given a well balanced education. If they decide they want to find spiritual enlightenment when they're old enough to make that decision for themselves then they can go and speak to whatever Priest, Rabbi, Iman they choose.

We don't have any kids of our own, but if we did they would goto a private school. The public school systems around here are junk and the kids are out of control.

I can't really say it better than that. I'm fortunate to live in a district with an excellent elementary school. My oldest child just started kindergarten this fall and we've be delighted thus far. No plans to change.

I wish we had a public preschool option like Sue's grandkids do in MO. I could have saved a ton of $$.

I agree with this 100%. I have no issues with those who send their children to private school, but multiple generations of my family (myself included) have gotten very good educations from public schools.

I think there are two crucial elements that determine the outcome of a child's education. First and foremost is parental involvement. Parents have to be involved with their kids and help them learn and care about school. Second is having teachers who care. Teachers who genuinely want their students to learn find ways to make sure they do. No teacher is perfect, but if the teachers at a given school genuinely care then most of the kids will too. Neither of these things is dependent on the name of the school or how much the school charges in tuition.

There are of course other aspects that effect certain kids more than others: strength of various academic and extracurricular activities, level of discipline, services for kids with learning and or physical disabilities, size of classes, culture of the school, etc. And parents should find the best fit for their child. But in my opinion they should always make sure that they stay involved and that their child's teachers care.

I was sent to a Catholic school. In some ways it was better than the public school I would have gone to, but in many ways it was worse. Math and science education was sub par and there were discipline issues with some teachers that caused 2-3 years of my elementary schooling to be somewhat of a joke. That's a lot of ground to make up.

I really think it all about where you live. I think that in most areas of the country you can get a good education at public schools. If you have a child that has special needs a private school may be geared to best serve them.

I have two teenage daughters. I can only think of two teachers that my daughters have had that I would rate as poor.

I am convinced that a child learns almost as much dealing with others in their day to day lives than they do in class. By having a more diverse group to be around, I feel that my kids are being exposed to more and are learning how to get by.

I agree with this 100%. I have no issues with those who send their children to private school, but multiple generations of my family (myself included) have gotten very good educations from public schools.

I think there are two crucial elements that determine the outcome of a child's education. First and foremost is parental involvement. Parents have to be involved with their kids and help them learn and care about school. Second is having teachers who care. Teachers who genuinely want their students to learn find ways to make sure they do. No teacher is perfect, but if the teachers at a given school genuinely care then most of the kids will too. Neither of these things is dependent on the name of the school or how much the school charges in tuition.

There are of course other aspects that effect certain kids more than others: strength of various academic and extracurricular activities, level of discipline, services for kids with learning and or physical disabilities, size of classes, culture of the school, etc. And parents should find the best fit for their child. But in my opinion they should always make sure that they stay involved and that their child's teachers care.

Indeed so. Great point.

I agree without parental involvement make an enormous impression. I spent Friday at my sons Halloween parade and then making Halloween crafts the reaction I received from him was humbling to say the least.

I have one of the best elementary schools 500' away and we pass by it every morning to their school 5 miles away. That was the topic of discussion with my barber yesterday and so it influenced this thread.

Top Bottom