What's new

My First Straight Shave

I just received my RupRazor yesterday and couldn't wait to try it this morning. Well, the good news about my shave is that I didn't kill myself. The bad news is that I don't feel like I cut any hair. The razor made the sound of cutting hair but it doesn't even look like I took a razor to my face. Is this normal for first time users? Keep in mind the razor purchased was pre-sharpened. I know this is an art that needs mastering so I wasn't expecting a very close shave on my first attempt, but I was expecting to have a decent shave. I tried to keep the blade between 30-45 degrees. Much help is needed and appreciated. Thanks!

Have you read the stickies? It's all in there!

Do NOT give up. Your shaves will ultimately become better.

stick with it & by week 2 you will be flying it will become seccond nature to you & by then you will see a hugh improvement in your everday shave

try and lower that angle. I find that the width of the spine away from the skin is a good guide

Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and checked the stickies and even emailed Ken at RupRazor. Apparently the razor he sells requires a very shallow angle. Due to the fact I didn't really shave anything off my face this morning, I figured I'd give it a go when I got home from work because I'd have more time and concentration. Is it possible the blade is dull? Still looks as if I haven't shaved in a few days and very little hair was removed. Either my technique is really way off, or I stropped wrong. When I stropped, I made sure I went extra slow, the strop was taut and not to roll the blade on it's edge. I guess frustration is setting in but I guess this was expected.

Top Bottom