What's new

New Dovo's - ***'?

robin,i also had an issue with a dovo razor and i sent it back saying i would never buy any new razor again,not just a dovo.i have been following this thread from the begining and i just came to an interesing conclusion.if you were working for dovo,i think that i would have bought another razor from them.the point that i'm trying to make is that you come across very professional,very personable and i think that is what we are looking for as consumers,answers to our questions.we know things slip by in a production scenario but we want to be assured that it is being dealt with.saying to someone "return it for refund" is not an answer as far as i'm concerned.robert.

Dovo owned Bresnick? When was that? Bresnick was started by Charles Bresnick back in the 1920s. Its a known fact some of the razors sold by Bresnick and Pearlduck were made by Dovo and he had a contractual arrangement the same as they did with the DDs made by Puma and a French Company too and the later arrangment Pearlduck had with Beau Brummel to market their razors. Remember Bresnick et al was a supply company and they made nothing so they had agreements with many companies to produce all their products and most of their products throughout their history were made in the U.S.

For what it's worth, I have purchased three ne Dovo's over the last year. Two Stainless Micarta handled, and one Silver Steel Ebony.
All three are excellent razors. I am completely satisfied with them.
I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Wow this is a very interesting thread when read in it's entirety. Unfortunately last year I also returned a very badly ground Dovo MOP to get one that's was able to be honed. Pretty much killed any future new Dovo purchases for me. My new steel TI had no noticeable flaws other than needing some honing so no complaints.

After all of this is there any consensus on reliable QC? TI seems to be better than most right now. I'm waiting on a Revisor to show up so I'm curious about their quality. What about new Bokers? Wacker? From what I've read Harts are hit or miss. Is anyone currently making consistently decent quality razors other than customs?

As a first straight I didn't notice the slight warp in the razor but after geting an antique and reading this I see the curve in my Dovo I still get a good shave from it but not near as good as the antique I have now.

I think if someone is going to make allegations like this, they need to supply all the facts - for instance, where the product was purchased from, what the vendor did or didnt do to try and rectify the situation, etc etc.

Yes, all manufacturers have QC issues at some time or another, however one of the key benefits to selling to resellers only, is that if something isnt picked up by the manufacturer's QC, the reseller should catch it. The onus is really on the reseller to ensure they deliver a good product to THEIR customer (you).

All experienced straight razor users that I know, specifically order their razors unhoned and then do it themselves so that its done "right". I dont know any major vendors who won't supply an unhoned razor if you ask them - they will still want to open the box and inspect the razor, but they will do what you, as the customer, ask for.

I would seriously like to know who the vendor was, as I would definately not purchase anything from them based on your review.

Did that "or something" also include an analysis of their staff numbers, and the new QA measures Dovo put into place? If not, they maybe didn't research the company well enough.

Oh, I have seen some truly horrible craftsmanship coming from companies that are well less organised than Dovo. Exception, rule, you know the drill.

damned well said.

While I do not intend to continue this thread going....I will say that it has made me reconsider my options for my next new razor purchase. I think I will hunt around more before I buy. While I'm still considering a Dovo, I think I'll have to ensure it is inspected and honed prior to coming home to me :smile:

Good thread and good discussion guys....why we're all on B&B!

While I do not intend to continue this thread going....I will say that it has made me reconsider my options for my next new razor purchase. I think I will hunt around more before I buy. While I'm still considering a Dovo, I think I'll have to ensure it is inspected and honed prior to coming home to me :smile:

Good thread and good discussion guys....why we're all on B&B!

Rather than focus on the brand of the razor, I would like to suggest that you focus more on the skill and dedication of the vendor.

Top Bottom