What's new

Vintage Blades - Pewter Shave Mug

I'm looking for a nice shaving bowl/mug that I could use for both soap and possibly cream. I have seen stainless steel, porcelain, pewter, etc. and I was wondering if anyone has experience with this one in particular?

http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=108&cat=118&bestseller=Y

Is there any downsides to using pewter? I read another thread where someone had experienced metal leeching into the soap and making it a little grey/silverish.

Thanks

Dave

I'd either buy a mug at Walmart for under $10, or put the $52 toward a scuttle. YMMV.

Agreed, fancy mugs that are too small for lathering, and hence just hold a soap puck are a total waste of money. You would get far more bang for your buck from a Scuttle. :biggrin:

Pewter has been used for centuries as dinnerware. It holds up well to various kinds of foods and beverages so it should hold up well to shaving soap. And if the cup is thick enough in the wall it can hold heat. If you want it, get it without worry about soap corroding it. The vendor has a great reputation.

I'd agree 1,000% with the scuttle. I don't think you can beat them. I use the Georgetown scuttle every shave. Not only does it keep your lather nice and warm, but it makes mixing a nice lather very easy. :w00t: :biggrin: :tongue:

Not that I have decided which way to go, but today I ran out at lunch to a local antique/consignment store and looked around, mainly for a pewter mug. I came across a $3 Old Spice shaving mug and two more Gillette DE razors. One I believe is a Fatboy adjustable and I am not sure what the other one is, it says Made in England on the bottom. I will post pics tonight when I get home.

What scuttle would be recommended?

You could go for a Dirty Bird Scuttle or Bonnyman Moss...

You can get the DB scuttle for around $50 shipped and the Moss for about $25 more (shipping from Canada makes it more expensive)...

Check out the review section for pictures of each... occationally, there are some the BST as well.

Not that I have decided which way to go, but today I ran out at lunch to a local antique/consignment store and looked around, mainly for a pewter mug. I came across a $3 Old Spice shaving mug and two more Gillette DE razors. One I believe is a Fatboy adjustable and I am not sure what the other one is, it says Made in England on the bottom. I will post pics tonight when I get home.

A $3 OS mug?! Wow!!! Congrats on that score! :thumbsup:

i got a chrome bowl from them it is nice but i had a puck o soap in it for quite a while and i guess the soap leeched the chrome out of the bowl it is tarnished permanantly but i still use it for lathering only though after that happened

I personally really love my $1 walmart mugs but had found a hand made clay mug with a bigger handle that I swap into rotation.

Top Bottom