What's new

Good inexpensive coffee pot?....

Is there such a thing?

I have a Starbucks Barista that I use 99% of the time. I have a French Press for when the mood strikes me. But my wife and I are going to get a coffee pot for when we have a good amount of company (after all, who wants to make 6 or 7 long pulls?).

So...we were thinking about doing the *gasp* Gevalia thing...but I thought I'd query the forum here and see what a good inexpensive option might be.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The words "good" and "inexpensive" rarely share space in a description.

What is your idea of inexpensive? Give us a budget to work with, and there might be a few options.

Melitta has a nice one here for $14.99 that uses water from a kettle. The coffee we get from it comes out much better than the Gevalia we used to use.

There is a place in Salt Lake City that sells Coffee beans. Whether whole or grind, your choice.

Goto: http://www.roasting.com/

Now I was a customer there for a few years when I lived in SLC and I have ordered from them for over a decade. Whenever I travel the world, I try coffee in every country I visit. From fresh mountain coffee in Honduras to coffee shops in Russia. I go back to the place in SLC. Plenty of cheaper coffee beans there to some high end stuff. :w00t:

Well crap...they don't have the French Press any more. I picked my French Press up at Starbucks and it does the job.

You can try this place out as well...http://morecoffee.com/

Last edited:
As far as price range goes....

What would you suggest for under $50?

What would you suggest for under $100?

That gives a bit of leeway. FWIW...I do like the idea of the Melita. I had a lot of buddies in college that swore by them. I must say though....it is pretty handy to have a clock and timer though...:wink2:

Ok...and I should probably also clarify....by coffee pot I mean coffee maker :)

Also...I am looking for something that is at least 10 cups but I would greatly prefer a 12 cup maker.

Mr Coffee?....are you being serious?:confused:

If you can find down there, Tim Horton's ( popular coffe/donut shop in Canada) sells a home version of a Bunn brand ( they make commercial grade coffee makers). Best coffe maker i've ever had hands down , and i've had alot of coffee makers. Best coffee in the world is still campfire coffee cooked over the camp fire in just an old porclien coated coffe pot with no filter.
Good luck in your search. Carey

I'm not a coffee drinker, but my uncle has been drinking Nescafe for about as long as I can remember. Although, I'm pretty sure real coffee drinkers hate that stuff. My mom and brother are big fans of Starbucks Columbian Roast and my dad loves Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

EDIT: Sorry, I obviously missed the word "pot" in your question. I've really got nothing then. Sorry.

Last edited:
From what I've read on the hard-core coffee forums -- and man, those people are serious about coffee! -- most of the coffeemakers you find in big-box stores get criticized because they don't get the water hot enough prior to brewing to yield a proper cup.

These folks prefer stuff like the Technivorm Moccamaster KBT741, at $265.

Me? I have an old freebie from Gevalia made by Melita. When that one dies, I think I'm going back to Gevalia ...

These folks prefer stuff like the Technivorm Moccamaster KBT741, at $265.

Got one. It's great. When I was researching coffee makers I read reviews from people who had 30-year old Technivorms.

Pluses:
  • Makes great coffee
  • 1.25 liter capacity
  • Thermal carafe (but it is stainless steel so I transfer to a glass thermos -- free from Gevalia)
Minuses:
  • No fancy stuff like timers, buzzers, clocks, etc... (I should probably put this same item in the "Pluses" list as well!)
  • Lots of loose pieces so it requires a bit of careful attention to get it all set up.
  • I find that I fiddle with the dispersal of water over the grounds otherwise it doesn't seem to get even coverage. I use the flat handle of a coffee scoop to direct water over the full surface of the grounds at the beginning of the cycle. Once that's done it all settles in and needs no further help. I don't know if this even helps but I feel better doing it.
Its general design philosophy seems to be ruggedness, simplicity, and power. (1400 watts! -- you should see the cord.) The idea of the high power is to get the water that reaches the grounds up to the right temperature, about 200 degrees F, just below boiling.

How many people are we talking about here, anyway?

I dunno....probably 5 or 6.

Here's the deal....I'm getting ready to move to Texas and take a job as a Pastor. A good pastor should always have coffee on at his place, so when people stop by (and they will), he can offer them something other than sweet tea.

I'm planning on having lots of people over quite a bit....it just goes with the territory. So, I'd like something that brews quickly and that I can do multiple pots in a row in case the crowd is more like 10-12 instead of 5-6.

I'm planning on having lots of people over quite a bit....it just goes with the territory. So, I'd like something that brews quickly and that I can do multiple pots in a row in case the crowd is more like 10-12 instead of 5-6.

The Technivoorm is a FAST brewer and if you have some extra carafes you can load up a few.

Top Bottom