What's new

Cologne Sniffing on Lexington Ave

My usual subway was running on a different track today and I ended up in Manhattan in the low 60s and Lexington and decided to walk to my train.

I stumbled into Pasteur's. This Pasteur's seems like its products are higher priced than the 34st location. I stopped and smelled some :

DR Harris Malborough - Strong cedar woody smell with tobacco and a bit of sweetness at the end.

I kept walking
south and went into Bloomindales.

I tried the following:

Yves St Laurent L'homme - Light and fresh, the person who was helping me said it was similar to Creed Silver Mountain.

Guerlain Vetiver- Smelled woody, grassy, hints of middle eastern scents. Loved it.

Guerlain Du Coq - Amazing citrus and dry and elegant. also had a bit of middle eastern scents. This was awesome manly and very impressive.

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford - musky, elegant, dry and sophistication.

All very impressive. All of them go on the wish list. :)

What are your thoughts?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Do you remember what they would charge for the Guerlain Vetiver (4.2 oz), saw it this week in a duty free shop for $66 and that seemed a bit pricey, or?

I was there today too. Went to check out the Paul Mole sale...it was ok, nothing really spectacular. I went to Pasteur's too and tried the TOBS Lime cologne. Smells similar to Arko at first, then dies almost completely within 30 minutes. In between that time, the smell changes from Arko to something a little floral.

I think the Guerlain Vetiver has the best sort of overall rep...

But it really depends on what you liked best.

If you already have some frags, which is different from what you already have?

I thought the du coq was amazing and so was the guerlain vetiver. both different from what i currently where, varvotos and hugo boss blue.

the price on the vetiver was i think 75 and 90 for the two different sizes.

I thought the du coq was amazing and so was the guerlain vetiver. both different from what i currently where, varvotos and hugo boss blue.

the price on the vetiver was i think 75 and 90 for the two different sizes.

Well as a bit of a frag collector, I advocate for the smaller sizes whenever possible. The cost differential can make you nuts (i.e. 50% juice more for only 20% more money?!?!) That's a fragrance company gimmick and I note many do that. I guess the same concept is used with things like toilet paper.

But I find with owning a lot of frags, I prefer to take the hit for the smaller bottle. I don't know in reality what the shelf life for these frags are, but I know I use a lot of different scents, and I prefer the smaller bottles for storage purposes too. The bigger size is always the better "value."

Plus, we all sometimes tire of a scent and having half a bottle sitting around starts to mess with my head.

I haven't tried either of those scents, but you seem to like them both. There's no wrong choice. But if you haven't already, I do advocate you try do a test wear of one or both before you buy. Been burned a lot on those in store decisions.

That initial spray gives you the top notes which are there to help sell the scent. It takes awhile for the frags true character to emerge.

See if you can get in store at beginning of day, squirt a fair amount on wrists and check throughout the day.

Top Bottom