What's new

I need a "manly" cologne, apparently....

How about just telling her the wench down the street isn't complaining. Not only will she stop complaining, but she'll probably stop talking to you all together.

I can't speak for others on this forum, but I actually love and respect my wife.

And yes, I could tell her I'll wear what I want. And I do wear what I want. But I thought it would be nice, since she's my girl and all, if I could find a cologne I like that also pleases her.

If you guys think that makes me a wimp, then I guess I'm a wimp. Personally, I don't think respecting one's wife's opinion is wimpy.

I'll still wear my Castile when I want to, by the way, but maybe not when we're out on a date or when it's our anniversary.

So, thanks to everybody who posted suggestions helping me out. But I don't really require anymore posts telling me to disregard her opinion, or describing to me how the entire premise of my original post is flawed. Thanks.

So, thanks to everybody who posted suggestions helping me out. But I don't really require anymore posts telling me to disregard her opinion, or describing to me how the entire premise of my original post is flawed. Thanks.
My posts fit into the former, not latter category. I want get into whether the other comments were funny or not, in good taste or in bad, but I'm pretty sure they were quite tongue-in-cheek.

proxy.php

Stetson Untaimed, English Leather. Now I am not saying you would enjoy these, I am just saying they are not girly. :)

I keep mentioning Michael Kors for Men. IMO, It is outstanding and quite "manly". (Check Basenotes reviews.) It is usually inexpensive too. Rum/bourbon, sweet tobacco, leather, a faint cherry note - it is good stuff. I get women commenting on it regularly.

On other forums, where only certain niche cologne manufacturers seem to be discussed, my mention of Michael Kors goes over like a turd in a punchbowl. Zero energy around it... yet discussions around "sexy" Knize 10 and lavender waters are common place.

I guess terms such as: manly, sexy, quality, classy, etc., are all relative terms.

Check it out... tell 'em Rusty sent ya. :biggrin:

Definitely a good recommendation. It is a interesting and manly scent with good longevity and appropriate sillage, not too strong or weak. Check it out.

I'd sit her down and tell her this:

"If I'm wearing it or I'm doing it, it's not girly. It's manly."

Educate, don't capitulate.

Howdy. My first entry into the forum has to be applause for The Nid Hog's comment. I am involved at The Art of Manliness community, and guys are asking, "Is this manly? Is that manly?" I've been trying to tell them that you make it manly if you choose to do so. Being tentative and fearful, and asking permission, is not manly. Thank you for adding fuel to my fire. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

All right now...let's hold up a minute here.

He's not asking for his wife's "permission" to wear anything. Nor is he questioning whether it's a manly scent.

His wife's comments "it's girly" are most likely her way of saying "I don't like it." Kingfisher is just asking for some fragrance ideas.

We all get the "be a man" thing. But there is a point in any relationship with a woman where it is wise, and conducive to a good relationship to be somewhat accommodating. Picking a scent both he and she like is not being a wimp.

I've had to do the same thing at times with my ex wife and girlfiriends as well.

Lighten up.

All right now...let's hold up a minute here.

He's not asking for his wife's "permission" to wear anything. Nor is he questioning whether it's a manly scent.

His wife's comments "it's girly" are most likely her way of saying "I don't like it." Kingfisher is just asking for some fragrance ideas.

We all get the "be a man" thing. But there is a point in any relationship with a woman where it is wise, and conducive to a good relationship to be somewhat accommodating. Picking a scent both he and she like is not being a wimp.

I've had to do the same thing at times with my ex wife and girlfiriends as well.

Lighten up.

+1 ... I don't see much downside in keeping the spouse happy. Seems to me we wear scents for others just as much as we do for ourselves -- especially others who get close enough to savor the scent.

and another +1 for Eucris. A truly great frag.

If you can find Safari and dont mind paying for it...Now that is a scent that all my friends like. (ps, remember I am a chick).

Kouros by YSL. I've not found a woman that didn't like it. Just let it rest a bit. Don't walk out of the bathroom for about 20 minutes after applying it and start of with one spray. It's very Gordon Gekko from Wall Street or Blake from Glengarry Glen Ross if you apply too much.

the shave den makes a motor oil after shave, if thats not manly, nothing is. and it does smell just like a quart of castrol :-D.

I'd sit her down and tell her this:

"You think that the cologne I'm wearing is girly? I'll tell you what girly is. It's letting my wife make me feel guilty about how I look or what I do. That's girly. But I'm not girly. I'm a man and a man has to make his own way in the world. If I'm wearing it or I'm doing it, it's not girly. It's manly."

Educate, don't capitulate.

Just don't push it by showing up for breakfast in an angora sweater and pearls. I can't help you with that.

Agree with her wholeheartedly and then present her with your two previous choices for her own use. Nicely gift wrapped of course.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Agree with her wholeheartedly and then present her with your two previous choices for her own use. Nicely gift wrapped of course.

I'd not do that . . . my wife has a rusty knife she keeps for such occasions. I'd say this is an occasion for a what do you like kinda thing.

Top Bottom