What's new

I need a "manly" cologne, apparently....

Many classics have been mentioned - any of them would be worth a try. Etro Vetiver is uncompromising and quite pungent.

Any ideas for a "manly" cologne for me?
Guerlain Vetiver, Vetiver extreme, or Vetiver sport. Clean and utterly masculine, and purchased in large amounts by women. Another excellent cult-status contemporary masculine is Terre D'Hermes. Try to get an earlier bottle of Terre D'Hermes before the sour grapefruit peel took over. earlier bottles are heavy on the FLINT. Yes, FLINT.

Guerlain Vetiver, Vetiver extreme, or Vetiver sport. Clean and utterly masculine, and purchased in large amounts by women. Another excellent cult-status contemporary masculine is Terre D'Hermes. Try to get an earlier bottle of Terre D'Hermes before the sour grapefruit peel took over. earlier bottles are heavy on the FLINT. Yes, FLINT.
+1
Would try Vetivers in general. Floris Vetiver is great (but discontinued).
L'Occitane Vetiver gets lots of good press (but I haven't tried it)
MPG Route du Vetiver is a rather masculine vetiver
Also agree with the previously mentioned:
Knize 10
various Spanish Leathers.
Grafton
TOB Mr. Taylor (would also check out Shaveshop -- definitely not girly).
Sandalwoods (especially the less sweet ones like AOS and Tam Dao)
Racquets

+1 on all the Vetivers, especially Guerlain and Floris.

Brooks Brothers 1818

Old Spice (Shulton)

Bay Rum

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

Monsieur Rochas Concentree

Givenchy Gentleman

Guerlain Heritage

Guerlain Habit Rouge

Creed Vintage Tabarome

GFT Eucris

Pecksniff's Oriental Woody - Yes, that's the real name

GFT Spanish Leather

Creed Bois du Portugal

Knize Ten

Dunhill for Men

Caron Yatagan

T&H Grafton

Ralph Lauren Polo

Ralph Lauren Safari

Aramis by Aramis

Creed Royal English Leather

QED Badger & Blade (if you can get your hands on some)

The list goes on and on...

Preferred stock is a good start or maybe polo,or stetson. I found preferred stock at big lots in the states for 6 dollars for 2 ounces.Good stuff. Drakkar is another good one. Sometimes the old stand by's are your best bet.Stetson is a little soft but its good. Jovan musk ahh, that will get her attention. Good luck.:w00t:

I'd sit her down and tell her this:

"You think that the cologne I'm wearing is girly? I'll tell you what girly is. It's letting my wife make me feel guilty about how I look or what I do. That's girly. But I'm not girly. I'm a man and a man has to make his own way in the world. If I'm wearing it or I'm doing it, it's not girly. It's manly."

Educate, don't capitulate.

Just don't push it by showing up for breakfast in an angora sweater and pearls. I can't help you with that.
Now thats how you properly get your woman in check. It could leave her thinking about what you said and what a man you are,or have you wondering where your going to sleep next! lmao that was a classic reply loved it!:biggrin:

So, pretty much any cologne that I like, my wife disses are being too "girly."

Any ideas for a "manly" cologne for me?

12 hours duty with a log splitter in the summer, and then 4 days without a shower wearing the same clothes.

That's pretty masculine.

Don't know if you can get it in a bottle though. Given Hai Karate and Brut are still selling, I'd say there was a market for it.

One other thing I might recommend is to take your wife with you to a high end department store or even a Sephora. Have her sniff various fragrances until she finds 3-5 that she likes (granted sniffing them on the paper strips is nothing like actually wearing them). Write down the names of those fragrances, then head to Basenotes to research them. You can find the notes that are in them, then look for other fragrances with those same notes, which she should also like.

This is very good advise. While you are there, try Hermes Rocabar. I saw it at Saks and Neiman Marcus. I find it to be a very high quality masculine scent with fantastic longevity. It is not polarizing as is the case with fragrances like YSL Kouros and Caron Yatagan.

Trumpers Astor
Trumpers Curzon
Trumpers Marlborough
Trumpers Eucris
C&S Cuba
Chanel pour Monsieur

...and of course Mandom but that's a whole 'nother level. :w00t:

How about just telling her the wench down the street isn't complaining. Not only will she stop complaining, but she'll probably stop talking to you all together.

Top Bottom