What's new

I need a "manly" cologne, apparently....

Quite true...until you test it, you won't know. It is likely that it is not natural cedar and juniper. Makes for a kind of interesting question.

If you are allergice to those, would the allergy show up with synthetic recreations of those scents???

Hmmm
As a very serious asthma and allergy sufferer... no. Because a person isn't allergic to the smell of something, they're allergic to things like the pollen, dander etc. The smell of freshly cut grass sends me into fits but I'm not reacting the smell, its the dust, pollen and spores that are stirred up by mowing that I inhale and give me an attack.

EDIT: Some people do have sever chemical sensitive (i.e. cologne and perfume in general set them off, as well as air freshiner) but then they aren't necessarily allergic to the same natural substance as what the chemical is.

Last edited:
EDIT: Some people do have sever chemical sensitive (i.e. cologne and perfume in general set them off, as well as air freshiner) but then they aren't necessarily allergic to the same natural substance as what the chemical is.

For what it's worth, the Gendarme line was developed by a guy with all sorts of allergies. He wanted something he could wear.

They're mostly very clean, non-offensive fresh scents on the lighter side.

Sample first of course, but if you have a tough time with men's frags due to allergies, Gendarme may be a solution. Gendarme 20 is a fave of mine, especially in hot weather.

Try Terre D'Hermes. That's definitely masculine. Smells like it should be worn with a nice suit.

Le Labo Rose 31 is pretty good too. If you've never tried it, don't be fooled by the rose. This is a very masculine fragrance. It smells like a slightly lemony, spicy, rosey incense.

I just picked up a sample bottle of Halston Z14, and it is what I would call a manly scent. I'm thinking of buying the full size bottle when the sample runs out.

Also try John Varvatos.

I've been using Z-14 for 25 years! I still get compliments daily, mostly from women who want to know what i am wearing.

Givenchy Gentleman. It doesn't get much more manly than that.

I really like Givenchy Gentleman. It is a classy fragrance, to be sure, but there are some aspects of the top notes that seem almost like perfume on me. I'm not sure if it is the bergamot or rose (or combination, thereof). I don't know if it is the "manliest", though. Nonetheless, I think it is great - and quite strong on me. I usually just use one spray and can still notice it 10+ hours later.

:jump:

This is an easy one, just take a bunch of raw tobacco, soak it in a nice heavy weight motor oil, strain & set aside. Now work out hardcore, until your towell is sopping wet with sweat, squeeze out the sweat into a bowl, add 2 tbsp of your tobacco-motor oil and mix vigorously. Add 1 drop of pinuad bay rum, continue stirring, then apply generously all over your face and arms.

LOL!! I had almost the same reply posted till I saw you beat me to it! I didn't have any of the "raw tobacco notes" in my "eww de cologne" though! I bet this would smell great dabbed gently on the pulse points with a clean cotton ball! :D

Jamesons 12 y.o. Not only can you dab it on behind your, you can drink it too.

If she doesn't like it, you can always consider a new wife!

I think vetiver is a decidedly masculine scent, and since I just sampled it recently and loved it, I recommend Guerlain's Vetiver.

Even though this thread got to 12 pages, so you might already have 20 new bottles of manly on your counter... I'd recommend SCS's Dagger.

Givenchy Gentlemen is a good manly scent. I personally didnt find anything remotely "perfumy" or feminine about it. It was polar opposite of what I would think of as a feminine scent.

another good one I recently re-discovered is Versace Versus. It is out of production now, but you can still find it at the small mom-pop stores, and definitely online.

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_cid_cologne-am-lid_V-am-pid_1324M__products.html

It is manly, for sure. I should clarify my point from earlier, about the top notes being almost perfume-like. There is something about the first few moments - a minute or so - where the rose and bergamot (and I've read listings of the notes that include honey in the top) begin to settle down that gives me that impression. This could be just me and the way it interacts with my skin. After the first moment, the patchouli, leather, and civet start coming out and become much more pronounced.

However, I do not regard it as a feminine scent, either.

This is a great one -very bold. One of my favorites.

Top Bottom