What's new

Best Art of Shaving products?

For Christmas I recieved an AoS travel brush and unscented soap. I'm going to return both, because I also got a Vulfix brush, and because I prefer scented soap. What should I get? According to the site, I should have $140 to spend.

I'm thinking of getting the following:
Soap (either lavender or sandalwood) $22
Cream (either lavender or sandalwood) $40
Hydrosol-rose water $22
perhaps the pre-shave oil? ($22)

I could get both soaps and creams, and the rose water, and that would come out to $146. Any suggestions? Right now all I have is Proraso soap, Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel, and some Kiehl's products, although I'll probably pick up Proraso Pre/Post and perhaps their cream too.

Hi Brenden, and HNY!

I'd avoid getting the shave oil; few guys here feel that there's much, if any, benefit. At $22, it's pretty pricey and really quite unecessary. Spend the money on an Alum block for the post shave --you'll be ahead of the game. You didn't say, but it sounds like you're getting all AoS products. They (AoS) make a great Alum block with plastic case for $15.

-- John Gehman

One other thought. Check with your local Nordstrom's and see if you can return the item there for an exchange. Might shave you from using up any of the dollars in shipping fees!

Randy

I love their after shave balm!!! Not the gel but the balm. It really moisturizes my skin. I use their sandalwood balm. Love the smell of that best.

Let me just say don't get the soap it will dry out your face.

But the shaving cream is great get lavender you will love it

The pre shave oil a lot of people don't like but I like it its nice to have. I have the unscented one and love the price aint that bad.

The alum block I agree that is a must.

The hydrosol water would just be a waste of money just go with so of there aftershave instead they make a pretty nice aftershave

Oh ya if you suffer from ingrown hairs I would get there ingrown hair night cream that stuff works great

I've been using the Lavender shaving cream and it's been great. The after shave balm is great at moisturizing your skin but if you get razor burn or irritation this won't help it at all, in fact it'll burn like !@#$ for a couple seconds when you first apply it, and if you have a few cuts/razor burn/irritation it'll sting occassionally throughout the day.

I like the pre-shave oil, good scent, and makes my beard feel softer.

The only scent I've tried is lavender. And it's been great so far. As for the alum block I wouldn't buy that from AOS. I think Mama bear sells a much cheaper one that comes with a case also. The AOS version definetley seems overpriced to me.

Like Randy mentioned, you might check to see if a local store will trade you out for products of = or > value. This way you could grab some AOS and maybe some T&H and/or other branded products to play around with.

In the AOS family, I really enjoy both the Lavender and Sandalwood scented creams.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Save $44 and forget the pre shave and hydrosol (try QED or Em's for hydrosols). Spend the 44 smackers on two (more) tubs of cream- they're top notch.

Here's another vote for their lavender shave cream. It's one of the best creams I've tried, but I haven't used AOS's other scents. I also like their lavender ASB.

Any of the AOS creams and a/s balms will do a superb job. They're all great, so go with whatever scents attract you.

I went to Nordstrom's to exchange the unscented soap and brush, and ended up getting the lavender and sandalwood creams, and the lavendar after-shave balm. I still have some money left, so I'll probably get one of the soaps, and perhaps something from T&H, which Nordstrom's also carries.

Thanks for all the advice!

Good for you. Don't forget to hit them up for free samples of any additional products you are curious about.

Top Bottom