What's new

Newbie comment and question

Comment: I'm honestly shocked at how lively this forum is! I had no idea! It's great!

Question: I have purchased a Parker 13R, which is on its way to me. This will be my first real razor. What ought I to expect? I bought it for 2 reasons. One, aesthetics. It looks great in the horn. Second, it is described as being closely modeled on a Merkur, which I took to be a good thing. So, what can I expect with this razor, since I'll have no idea if any poor performance is my own fault (probably), the razor's (is Parker any good?), or both. Are all razors fairly equal? Is it mostly the blade that determines things?

Thanks.

I have no experience with Parkers or Merkurs but I believe they are great razors. I am sure more educated ones will jump in here though.

I like the merkurs.
My favorite razor is a merkur progress.
I also have a slant, my only complant about that one is the head casting seems cheap.

I really like the Merkur's, in fact that's all I use.

My favorite is the 1904 in both straight bar and open comb.

Second favorite is the HD, regular and barberpole, again in both straight bar and open comb.

I use the open comb when I have a 3 day or more growth of beard, and the straight bars for anything less.

So I guess I have 6 razor's that I use, all are Merkur. :w00t: :biggrin: :tongue:

Welcome to B&B. Pull up a stump and sit awhile. Please post lots of questions.... there are lots of experts here who love to answer them and give advice.

I have mostly vintage Gillettes, and a Merkur HD. Love my Gillettes, but the Merkur is one helluva shaver.
Get a blade sampler and work on your lather, (probably the single most important thing, along with SLOW, SLOW, SLOW, Angle, and NO PRESSURE)

Welcome to the boards!

I don't have any experience with a Parker, but as to your question about are all razors essential equal and is it the blade that makes the difference ... All razors are definitely not created equal. In my rather limited experience, different razors do shave a little differently. Also, blades can make a big difference. It is often said around here that razor and blade combos can make a bid difference as well. For example, blade A might work great in razor A, but horribly in razor B. I can't really comment much on this, but it seems to be true in my experience. I recently picked up an ABC pocket edition and tried using a Feather blade in it because those were working excellently in my SuperSpeed and Ladies Gillette, but it didn't go quite as well with the ABC. I tried a Derby, which had not worked well with my other razors, and it made a huge difference for the better.

So... Not all razors are created equal, although you should be able to do okay with most out there. Blades can make a difference. The combination of razor and blade can also make a difference.

Hmm, thanks Brian D. Looks like this is a long (but fun!?) road. I'm sure my lack of skills will get in the way of me figuring out which blades are working the best with my new razor. I'll try to be patient and hopefully not butcher myself as I figure out which is what:001_tongu.

Welcome. My first DE was a Parker (I forget the model). I found it to be very aggresive. That said, there are guys here that love their Parkers. I'm sure that it will work well for you if you focus on your angle and applying no pressure.

Welcome to B&B!

I am unfamiliar with that model, but my first DE razor was a Parker 22r. I found it to be a good learning razor. It did a good job, and I still have it. I just haven't used since I found my Blue Tip & Slim Adjustable Gillettes.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

You will know if it's the right razor for you or not... However, like most of us, you won't stop there... Razor #2 will be in the mail in no time...

I can't comment on the razor as I never tried a Parker (any model)...

I prefer vintage Gillettes over anything else. That said I own a Merkur 37G (gold slant) and it is a fine razor.

Top Bottom