What's new

shave creams from india - good?

I've been seeing several shave creams from India on eBay that are decently priced and wondered what is the verdict on them. Such as:

Dettol, Godrej, Lomani, Axe... I've tried the Old Spice in a tube from there and as an Old Spice fan, I liked it.

Any wisdom on these other ones? Thanks

Godrej is great stuff!

edit: many of these are also available from theshaveden.com. Might be cheaper than ebay and you'd be supporting a shave board.

The Godrej Menthol Mist is an excellent product. You can feel the menthol throughout the shave. TheShaveDen has a bunch of these products and Joanna
is a great person to deal with

I know the Vendor you are talking about on Ebay. I haven't dealt with that person. but I believe the products are shipped from India.

Unfortunately in our small city there aren't any stores that sell these creams, so no getting them here for 190 pennies. About the only non-canned shave creams I've found here are tubes of Alba Mango-Vanilla and Kiss-My-Face in a soft-soap looking pump, and both say they're brushless. Are either of them good with a brush? Also, anyone know anything about the other India creams (Lomani or Dettol)? Thanks

Unfortunately in our small city there aren't any stores that sell these creams, so no getting them here for 190 pennies. About the only non-canned shave creams I've found here are tubes of Alba Mango-Vanilla and Kiss-My-Face in a soft-soap looking pump, and both say they're brushless. Are either of them good with a brush? Also, anyone know anything about the other India creams (Lomani or Dettol)? Thanks

KMF will lather if used with a brush and isn't fantastic, but also not bad. It's my "rushed for time" go to cream when I don't have time to whip up a good soap puck lather. Tho, in that case, I use KMF brushless.

Alba will not lather. I've used it once or twice a few years ago and didn't care for it.

edit: KMF is also good for making superlather (making a soap puck lather with an added glob of a cream).

Godrej is great (the three kinds that I've tried) and Dettol Fresh is just as good. If you get to a good South Asian grocery store, don't forget to look for an alum block (probably about a buck) and the excellent Mysore Sandal Soaps.

I like the Old Spice (original scent) and the Dettol Fresh. I wish there was a local source for the Dettol Cool.

Wow...coincidence. I stopped by a local Indian store this evening on a lark, and this thread appears by the time I get home. They didn't have any of the creams already mentioned. However, they had one called Ziva herbal shaving cream. I didn't have any cash on me, so I didn't buy it. Info is scarce online. Found a commercial, though. I may head back just for the novelty of buying it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIPTfCCPy4I[/YOUTUBE]

One other you might be able to find locally is Headslick by Headblade, if you care for menthol, that is. It lathers easily with a brush, as does Kiss My Face. You can add too much water to either of these and the lather will still look good, but lose its slickness. Kiss My Face is more conditioning, but I have oily skin and prefer Headslick. I think Headslick's lather is a little better anyway.

-Clarke

Top Bottom