What's new

To stretch, or not to stretch...

there's another vid where mantic advises against OVERstretching leading to ingrowns, etc. Some stretching (with a DE) is fine, and may even be necessary. Overstretching however, may lead to probs.

In my experience not all stretching causes ingrowns--only over-stretching...but I'd suggest a little trial and error to see what works for you. Using a dull blade can contribute to ingrowns as well. Ideally you don't want any 'tugging' when you shave. And I would also recommend not going ATG before your beard is properly reduced, as that can also cause them.

Stretching lightly to help flatten the skin can be especially useful around the mouth and the neck. Just make sure to use a very sharp blade! Keep in mind that the more your skin is stretched, the easier it is to cause razor burn due to improper blade angle or too much pressure, and the more likely you are to cause ingrowns. So, my advice would be to stretch lightly when necessary to flatten the skin and be mindful of your pressure and angle when you do so. Best of luck!

As a straight shaver I know the critical importance of stretching. I have never felt the need with a DE. The bar or open comb should flatten plenty.

In my experience not all stretching causes ingrowns--only over-stretching...but I'd suggest a little trial and error to see what works for you. Using a dull blade can contribute to ingrowns as well. Ideally you don't want any 'tugging' when you shave. And I would also recommend not going ATG before your beard is properly reduced, as that can also cause them.

Stretching lightly to help flatten the skin can be especially useful around the mouth and the neck. Just make sure to use a very sharp blade! Keep in mind that the more your skin is stretched, the easier it is to cause razor burn due to improper blade angle or too much pressure, and the more likely you are to cause ingrowns. So, my advice would be to stretch lightly when necessary to flatten the skin and be mindful of your pressure and angle when you do so. Best of luck!
Sounds like good advice to me, thanks!

The only real stretching I have to do is in the area of the adam's apple, to get the skin off of that problem area. Other than that I'll just pull the skin taught to take the slack out. :w00t: :tongue: :wink: :biggrin:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
As a straight shaver I know the critical importance of stretching. I have never felt the need with a DE. The bar or open comb should flatten plenty.

+1

Same here.

I do stretch the skin with my Open Comb on the occasion but not for the whole shave, only for those small, hard to reach, spots!

Top Bottom