What's new

another update

well, i've been at de shaving for about 6 days total.
equipment
gillette tech
vdh soap & brush

the first 4 days i used the red personna blade...great shave. it took me about 2 days to realize to learn a few things in order to get a closer shave. by day 3 i was loving the results.

yesterday and today i used astra...boy did that hurt. yesterday after only 2 passes, parts of my face had more hair than others. today i was halfway through pass 3 and had to stop. i finished it with mach 3. i'm done with astra. i'm gonna try the thin gillette blade that came with the razor and i'm gonna order some more blades.

i'm gonna try the sample pack because everyone says a body has to try several blades. but i loved the personna so much, i just wanna stick with it. but i'm gonna try just a few other blades to see if any can beat the personna.

i'm considering trying another soap...probably col. conk. it's kinda cheap and doesn't add much to the s&h. of all this is from west coast shaving. i was also thinking of prorasos tube. someone said it costs a lot ($10) but it lasts forever...or at least a whole lot longer than a comparable amount of canned foam.

any suggestions or recommendations based on anything i've just said? in general, i'm satisfied with my shaves. it's serving the purpose. so long as i don't use astra, my shaves are causing no pain. but i'm always willing to hearing what others have to say as far as improvement.

Keep reading and thinking about the nuggets that are offered here, buy some different soaps and/or blades as the budget allows and don't be afraid to try new things.

Worked for me!

Sounds like you have things pretty well under control.

Judging from your experience with the blades, you may actually be someone for whom Dorco ST-300 blades work well (and I believe they come in the WCS samplers). If that turns out to be the case, you'll be in the admirable position of liking the two cheapest blades that they sell. :smile:

- Chris

Your working through it fine mate!

Decide on what blades/soaps/creams you like for yourself, just use reviews as a guide.

I had pretty much the same experience with the Astras. Had a few of 'em from a sample pack and never had even a reasonably comfortable shave with them. The Red Pack Personnas, on the other hand, worked well for me. I guess like most things, YMMV ...

Now that I'm pretty consistenly weeper-free, I'm thinking about Feathers, except some of the posts I read about them make it sound like the slightest slip could lead to a literal blood bath.

What they said.
You're doin' good and your thinkin' is right too. This is all part of the fun.
It hurts sometimes, but you kinda like it. :biggrin:

Decide on what blades/soaps/creams you like for yourself, just use reviews as a guide.
yeah, at one point i was just gonna do personna because it works for me, but then i thought...might as well try to see if anything else works as well.

I had pretty much the same experience with the Astras. Had a few of 'em from a sample pack and never had even a reasonably comfortable shave with them. The Red Pack Personnas, on the other hand, worked well for me. I guess like most things, YMMV ...

Now that I'm pretty consistenly weeper-free, I'm thinking about Feathers, except some of the posts I read about them make it sound like the slightest slip could lead to a literal blood bath.
i had the same thought about feathers and had decided against it but after the astra experience...if i can tolerate that i can tolerate anything. but along with the possible blood bath, i've heard many people say that it gives a great, smooth shave with no problems. just make sure to use less than zero pressure. and since i'm sure i use a little pressure with the personnas (i think), i might need to reconsider the feathers.

Top Bottom