What's new

Question: Safety vs. Straight Razor

I am thinking of purchasing a razor but I don't know whether I should buy a safety razor or a straight one.

What are the pros and cons of each? Which one is better? Any recommendations?

If straight razors entice you at all I would go straight to that. Skip the middle man sort of a thing.

I can't say one is better than the other. If you don't have interest in one, don't get it. Straights have a higher start up cost and require maintenace like honing. Which can costs.

You can get a DE very inexpensively and 100 blades for less than $15.

I use both. I like both. Straights take a little longer to learn and are way different than DE's. Both give incredible shaves. Okay, for me a DE is closer shave because I'm not experienced enough w a straight!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

This is a preference. Pick the one that you think will suit you the most! I love both!

Good to have you here at B&B. I've given straight's a lot of thought, and have been so close to making the move, but I get such a great shave with a DE that I'm just going to stay with them.

The DE is a nice way to get into wet shaving, and I think that once you get good shaves with the DE, if the interest in straights is still there then give them a shot. Of course that's just IMHO however.

I've got a new DE on the way, but who knows, I just might make the switch anytime. :w00t: :biggrin: :tongue: :wink:

Shaveing with a straight takes lots of practice to get a good shave. I to am new to de n straights. Straights are expensive compared to a de . The way i see it a straight makes me feel more like a man. I see someone shave with a straight , i think in my head that looks badass. Either switching from the plastic disposables or them new 5 blade razors is goin to help everyone out . Less polution. I am still tryin to learn to get a good lather i got the cheap vdh from walmart for about 8 bucks. Good luck with the shaveing.

I am thinking of purchasing a razor but I don't know whether I should buy a safety razor or a straight one.

What are the pros and cons of each? Which one is better? Any recommendations?

Probably redundant answers. If so just count as a vote for whatever I am repeating!

Which is "better" depends on what you are after. Things to consider:

• Straights have steeper learning curve.
  • Straights cost more and require extra (and expensive) equipment (primarily a strop).
  • If you get serious about straights you may want to use a set of hones. This is an even bigger expense and bigger learning curve. (You can get away with paying "honemeisters" to hone for you.)
  • Straights can be more of a hobby, if that's what you want, just because of the previous three points.
  • The shaving "experience" is a bit different. Some prefer one some the other.
  • You can get just as good a shave from either. (Others may disagree.)
  • All the other "wetshaving" stuff is the same: soaps, brushes, pre/after shaves, prep, even the techniques although the techniques are more important for straights.

Last edited:
Many thanks all the responses! I am very appreciative of all the insights. I am thinking of buying a Merkur HD (based on reading reviews on this website actually).

However, there are more than one Merkur HD out there in the market.

- Merkur HD Classic "barber Pole" Long Safety Razor #38c
- Merkur HD 34c
- Merkur HD Slant Safety Razor 37c

Any thoughts as to what's the difference between these. Which one of these is the famous HD that everyone talks about?

Welcome to B&B!

The 'famous' HD is the 34c - generally, the "standard" by which other razors are judged.

Many (most?) members here own (or have owned) one - that should say something about the 34c by itself.

The 37c is the 'slant' or 'slant bar'. Probably not a razor for a beginner, but everyone's different.

The 38c has the same head as the 34c, but a much larger/heavier handle. Some like this, some do not.

There are also B&B member opinions of all of these in the Safety Razor section under 'Reviews' - I believe these are the top 3 under 'M'.

Last edited:
I can't say one is better than the other. If you don't have interest in one, don't get it. Straights have a higher start up cost and require maintenace like honing. Which can costs.

You can get a DE very inexpensively and 100 blades for less than $15.

I use both. I like both. Straights take a little longer to learn and are way different than DE's. Both give incredible shaves. Okay, for me a DE is closer shave because I'm not experienced enough w a straight!

+1 - But I would add that straights have the potential for better shaves once you figure them out. I started with straights and still prefer them, but I use DE's from time to time and enjoy that as well.

Hey Ron.
I'd get an Muhle-Pinsell R-89 instead of a 34c. Same head, slightly different balance but much better made and the same price. I'd also start with a DE as you probly need to get other aspects of you shaving regime sorted out, i.e. soap or cream, boar or badger brush, prep techniques, understanding your hair-growth etc. I think its likely that you'll at least try a straight at some point, but you have the rest of your life to do this. Give it 6 months with safety razors. Start with the R89 for a few months trying different blades etc, then maybe buy a Superspeed, Tech or a Slim and then when you can get a damn good shave anyway, try a straight. It took me a stupidly long time to get good results with a straight. Don't know if I'm more clumsy than normal or if there's just a huge drop-out cohort which my bloody-mindedness refused to allow me to be part of, but if you're going from Mach3 and "goo" to a Dovo, you're putting a lot of un-necessary pressure on yourself, your face and your nerves.
This is just my advice of course. One thing I would say. You've come across the "Encyclopedia Shavetannica" in this forum. They are a wonderful bunch of true gentlemen who will never knowingly steer you wrong. I am proud to be a part of badgerandblade....and someone always knows the answer to your question no matter how arcane and has made the same mistake, no matter how stupid.

in my opinion - straights are better.

If its not something you really want to do though, choose DE. Its not super easy to do, and theres a fair bit of a learning curve, so if youre not dedicated to it you will get frustrated and give up.

Huge +1 with Mdunn

Actually if yer asking you should start with a DE...
Straights are more of a calling, then a decision... :tongue:

Huge +1 with Mdunn

Actually if yer asking you should start with a DE...
Straights are more of a calling, than a decision... :tongue:

I agree. What first got me thinking about them was seeing an old television program where one of the main characters was using a straight. From then on, I knew I was destined to use them.

Top Bottom