What's new

question about soaps

Hi. Brand new to this, and I have a question about how to use shaving soap. I've read the tutorial on the soaps sub-forum, but it didn't seem to answer my question, or I simply didn't understand. First off, I'm really NEW; I've not even shaved yet! I have my kit incoming as we speak. The soap I chose is this DR Harris: http://www.fendrihan.com/harris-arlington-shaving-soap-mahogany-bowl-p-554.html

Question is: how do I use this. I've read that I need only wet my brush and lather up straight from the bowl the soap comes in. Is this so? Am I supposed to get the soap somehow into a different, warm shaving cup? How about a scuttle? Is that needed?

thanks for the help.

You should watch the Mantic59 video on YouTube (link below). He shows a number of methods of lathering using soaps. I use a bowl, many here do face lathering. What ever works for you. What did you get for a brush?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7Aj9vwrtc

Oh, BTW, welcome to B&B. Post often, lots of good advise to be had here.

Last edited:
The man is a wet shaving Yoda.

Here's the one on how to make lather using soap or cream

Hi. Brand new to this, and I have a question about how to use shaving soap. I've read the tutorial on the soaps sub-forum, but it didn't seem to answer my question, or I simply didn't understand. First off, I'm really NEW; I've not even shaved yet! I have my kit incoming as we speak. The soap I chose is this DR Harris: http://www.fendrihan.com/harris-arlington-shaving-soap-mahogany-bowl-p-554.html

Question is: how do I use this. I've read that I need only wet my brush and lather up straight from the bowl the soap comes in. Is this so? Am I supposed to get the soap somehow into a different, warm shaving cup? How about a scuttle? Is that needed?

thanks for the help.

You load your brush with the soap by swirling it in the soap, directly in the tub. There is a way of doing it. There are at least a few threads on Badger and Blade showing you how to lather up soaps. The two I keep going back to are: one By "Joel" which I've followed successfully, and a second one covering a range of soap and cream products which is posted to the Shave Clinic (this forum). I also have success with that. I forgot the name of the author. Both threads feature excellent pictures. I highly recommend studying both these threads before your first shave and practicing with different types of lathers. Also, "Mantic59" has videos on how to build a great lather. Why not search YouTube on him. I watch his videos repeatedly to check on my own technique. I've never used the tubbed soap version of Arlington by DR Harris, but I have a tube of the cream version. --Bob

Thanks! I've watched a few of Mantic's videos. I really enjoy his videos. I'll check out the other posts you suggested too.

I've read that I need only wet my brush and lather up straight from the bowl the soap comes in. Is this so? Am I supposed to get the soap somehow into a different, warm shaving cup? How about a scuttle? Is that needed?

You are not going to actually generate lather in the wooden bowl containing the soap. Doing so is hugely wasteful of soap, and extremely messy.

You are going to soak your brush, and then give it a good squeeze, and a couple of good shakes. The brush will thus be fairly dry.

You are then going to "load" the brush by swirling the brush on top of the soap for about a minute. The brush should be thoroughly white with soap.

At this point, you are going to take the loaded brush, and proceed to do one of three things: generate your lather in a bowl, generate your lather directly on your face, or generate your lather in the palm of your hand.

Regardless of which of the three methods you choose, you will need to gradually add more water, until the optimal lather is achieved.

~John~

thanks for the help.

Hopefully I can start you in the best direction :wink:. Like the others have said watch those videos and pic threads. So whats the best direction... Face Lathering. Basically in a nutshell you load soap somewhat dryly onto the brush, making it clumpy with soap. You then go immediately to the face and get great lather that really prepares the beard. A scuttle helps you keep your lather and or brush warm. Optional but nice.

Scuttle? What Leche said, it functions to keep you lather warm while you shave. This is a very nice feature of your shave routine, but far from required.

I get good results by pushing the brush into the soap to splay the bristles, then twirling it.

Soap lasts a long time, so don't be afraid to make a couple batches of lather for practice before shaving for the first time--you're not going to run out of soap before the Acquisition Disorder kicks in and you order five different kinds.

Top Bottom