What's new

Soaking the brush

What exactly is the point of soaking the brush in a mug for a period of time before shaving? Don't you get the same effect/benefit by simply running the brush under hot running water right before lathering? What am I missing?

I don't have a lot of experience with brushes, but if you have one of these (like I do), you will definitely want to soak it. Stiff boar brushes (or any other variety) benefit from a good soaking before using them, especially when they are completely dry.

Boar bristles, particularly, actually absorb water and soften in the process. I believe that synthetic bristles also become softer with the warmth and moisture, and in each case it takes a little time.

- Chris

For the past months I always soaked the brush under running water for 30 seconds.

In the recent shaves I filled the sink with warm water and kept the brush in it for one or two minutes. Result: The brush lathers faster and gets the soap/cream faster.

So guys, it's worth the extra time. I always prepped my face (warm Tabac soap rubbing, yuMmmmMMmmmMMMMmmm) during soaking time.

I've done both, and to tell the truth, IMHO I can't tell the difference. Most times I'll let my brush soak while I'm in the shower, because I can't hurt anything so I just do it. If I just run it under the tap I make sure that it gets a really good soak. Either way I'm able to make a very nice lather. :tongue: :001_tongu :w00t:

The main reason for me to soak the brush is to warm it up, with the second reason being that the natural bristles absorb water. The first step to every shave is to put the brush in hot water. By the time I've assembled everything else the brush is ready to go.

As stated several times before, soaking is better for the absorption of water into the bristles. If you place your brush in water and just let it sit you'll see bubbles start to form and push out of from between the hairs as water is displaced, as well as very small bubbles on the hairs themselves for the same reason. For full disclosure I only own a couple of boar brushes, though, and it is possible that the badger brushes are quicker at all of this.

The first step to every shave is to put the brush in hot water. By the time I've assembled everything else the brush is ready to go.[/QUOTE]

Same here and i do getter better results.

I dont soak my brush i dip it in the water right before i shave i shake out the extra water. The dunking makes the brush warm and the shave nice.

I dont soak my brush i dip it in the water right before i shave i shake out the extra water. The dunking makes the brush warm and the shave nice.

This was my question. I'm not asking IF people soak, or how. I'm asking what the difference is in soaking vs. running under hot water.

For me I use an HJM Boar brush. If I don't soak it so the bristles get all the water they need before I start shaving, the lather will be very off as the brush will soak the water out of that instead.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This was my question. I'm not asking IF people soak, or how. I'm asking what the difference is in soaking vs. running under hot water.

I would need to dip my brush to try it then but I'm not confident that the brush will absorb/release enough water when I will build my lather, that's why I soak the brush.

I've tried both ways, but eventually switched exclusively to soaking my brush for 30 seconds - 2 minutes. Really dense brushes soak up a LOT of water and heat, and although you shake out some of the water before lathering, the warm water deep into the knot really makes a difference.

I have a mug that I fill with very hot water before I shower and put my brush in. Badger hair absorbs water and lathers better when it's wet. I also put my bowl in the sink with hot water and put it back in between lathers. When I say hot water, I mean hot. I live on a volcano, in the Northwest, and use volcanic heated geothermal water, which is out of my faucet at 160 degrees. No kids around. This very hot water heats both brush and bowl to keep it warm for my shave.

Top Bottom