What's new

Blade rusting

Getting ready for DE shave #3, I noticed a spot of rust (or something, it was brown) on one side of the blade. The last two times, I followed the instructions in
leisureguy's guide: after I was done, I rinsed the razor off in hot water, shook off excess water, and left it out on the counter. It wasn't sitting in water. Should I do something more to dry it off, or are these just junky blades?

The blade in question was a Bangladeshi 7am. According to reviews, these things are pretty bad in general. After spotting the rust, I swapped it out for a Wilkinson Sword that worked much better all around.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I never had a blade that rust. I always pat them dry and re-assemble my 3 pieces.

leisureguy's guide: after I was done, I rinsed the razor off in hot water, shook off excess water, and left it out on the counter.

Laying it down can cause rust by water draining off of the razor and pooling under the head. I make sure to store the with the head raised so that doesn't happen. And, the make of the blade can contribute to the problem as well.

I suspect some blades can rust like the Treet Blued because they only last one shave.After one day they suddenly start dragging like ****. But most blades have not shown any rust to me within a week and I never do anything more than a good rinse with cld water after the shave.

I've done the same thing (i.e. shaking off excess water and leaving the razor on the counter) with several different blades (Feathers, Derbys, Astras, Gillettes, etc..) without ever having rust issues. I would suspect the blade to be the problem.

I just dab (not rub) the blade dry while it sits on a towel, then place it propped up a bit on a folded towel in my med cabinet. Have never had any blade rust.

I'm starting to think a lot of this has to do with the water in the area. I've seen a couple posts about Shark blades rusting, and I've never had an issue with this, and I'm strictly a rinse, shake (sometimes) and forget shaver.

That, and the "Brand X soap/cream doesn't lather worth a darn - Hey, I use it and it lathers like a champ" threads might partly be explained by differences in the water available. Lathering is far more technique influenced, to be sure, but the water quality could be a factor.

Top Bottom