What's new

Ok... please help me find THE ONE

Hi all,

Right. I've had it with SBAD! I want a one-and-only brush. I've tried a few, and still don't think I've found what I'm looking for yet.

So.....

My existing harem of badgery beauties:

• A Taylors Silvertip (Vulfix) - Nice, but too floppy, and not good with soap.
  • Rooney 3/1 Super - The nearest I've come yet, however my experience with Rooney has been mixed. First copy was great after break-in but was a shedder. Second copy didn't shed but just wasn't as nice as the first. Tips were more prickly and didn't seem quite as dense.
  • Simfix CH2 Best - Too big and not quite firm enough. Maybe CH1?
  • Semogue 1305 - Superb for the money but didn't retain heat or hold enough lather for me, even after break-in.
  • Omega Pro 48 - Gigantic, way too big for face lathering.
  • Savile Row 3824 - Just a bit too big and I'm not convinced it's as good as some brushes for soaps. It's also very soft, but most of the time I want firmness and a bit of scrubbing action, but don't want prickly tips.

My lathery leanings ... basically I face lather with soap 80% of the time, with cream 10% of the time, and use a bowl with cream/soap for the remaining 10%.

What I want from my next brush .... Basically a good all-rounder that is not too big, that is dense, scrubby and firm but not scritchy or prickly, and one that I will keep for a number of years without wanting any other brushes. I also want it to be readily available new, and easy to obtain in the UK.

Brush aesthetics ... Not too important, but I want the handle to be comfortable.

Budget. Maybe £100, no more.

Brushes that have already piqued your interest ....

• I'm thinking maybe a Rooney 1/1 or another 3/1 on the off chance that I just got some atypical samples.
  • Maybe a Stubby 1 or 2 Heritage, or another Heritage model?
  • A Simpsons Chubby 1 in Super or Best (can't decide). Obviously will be Simfix unless some kind soul wants to sell an original Simpsons one
  • A Savile Row 3x20 or 3x22 - or will these be too soft with not enough backbone for me?

Lastly, I wanted to tell you that this will be my last and only brush, and that SBAD hasn't really gotten ahold of me, etc.

No really. :w00t:

Thanks all!

John

A post just popped up concerning Simpson getting a new shipment of 2 band hair. Would that be an option or too expensive?

I recommend a 1/1 in Super Silvertip. Maybe a Custom Shavemac in Finest with a 45mm loft. These two brushes share the title of "favorite brush" for me. The B&B LE '09 has been the only brush that's piqued my interest in quite a while, but I don't know if that will be in your price range.

-Andy

A post just popped up concerning Simpson getting a new shipment of 2 band hair. Would that be an option or too expensive?

I considered a two-band when I bought my chubby 2 as it was the same price as the Super. What put me off was the bulb shape of the knot, didn't seem to look right on the Chubby handle!

I'd certainly consider it again if they are more fan-shaped and if the CH1 is available in the two-band.

I recommend a 1/1 in Super Silvertip. Maybe a Custom Shavemac in Finest with a 45mm loft. These two brushes share the title of "favorite brush" for me. The B&B LE '09 has been the only brush that's piqued my interest in quite a while, but I don't know if that will be in your price range.

-Andy

Thanks. I've never considered the B&B brushes as they never seem to be available...

A custom Shavemac also sounds good. I take it the short loft would make it more firm and scrubbier than my Savile Row. Shavemac and Savile Row knots look so similar to me, I assume they are similar in performance?

John

The obvious suggestion is a Shavemac custom short loft silvertip. I'm considering one myself next year.

Thanks. I've never considered the B&B brushes as they never seem to be available...

A custom Shavemac also sounds good. I take it the short loft would make it more firm and scrubbier than my Savile Row. Shavemac and Savile Row knots look so similar to me, I assume they are similar in performance?

John

A Finest Shavemac with a 45mm loft is firm but not as "scrubby" as my 1/1. It's not scratchy at all, but neither is my 1/1 in Super. They're different brushes, but it's difficult for me to describe. One is bulb shaped, one is fan shaped. The 1/1 may have a touch more backbone.

I'm not sure about Savile Row, since I've never used one. Aren't they made by Shavemac? That may just be a rumor.

Regarding the '09 LE, I'm thinking about buying one if it looks amazing. If it doesn't amaze me, I'm sure I can sell it on the b/s/t with no trouble at all. Very little risk with that brush, IMO.

-Andy

The one that did it for me was the rooney heritage stubby finest. I love it so much that Ive nearly sold off all my other brushes. I too face lather with soaps only.

Imagine a boar and a badger could combine, thats what a finest feels like. Very stiff at the shafts and uber soft at the tips. A different beast of a brush, I would recommend a 1/1 rooney finest. Thats as close as you will come to the stubby finest.

Since the Rooney 3/1 was pretty darn close, you may want to consider boning up and getting a Heritage edition one. The Alibaba #1 I used to own was very nice, super, very dense, yet no scratch whatsoever, just tons of "presence"

Or get a Golden Nib UK super silvertip, and set the loft to as short as you'd like it, and be happy as a clam without breaking the bank.

Since the Rooney 3/1 was close, I would suggest a two-band Simpson, probably a Persian Jar 2 or Persian Jar 3. The bristles have a nice firmness but are very soft at the tips. I have been very impressed with my PJ2. A Tulip 3 or Stubby 2 would be good options as well.

Rooney Heritage Victorian or a 3/1 finest.

While it sounds like a good idea, it really isn't realistic to expect to get by with only 1 brush - you need at least a Rooney, a Simpson and a Plisson IMO.

I don't know what will be your best brush, but I can tell you my top 3:

Shavemac Custom D01 - I would recommend a 22mm fan-shaped knot with a 45mm loft

Simpsons Two-Band CH2 (Maybe you might prefer the smaller T2 or PJ2)

Rooney 1/2 or 3/1 in Finest

Simply outstanding brushes, all.

Rooney Heritage Victorian or a 3/1 finest.

While it sounds like a good idea, it really isn't realistic to expect to get by with only 1 brush - you need at least a Rooney, a Simpson and a Plisson IMO.

The Heritage Victorian is a great brush, but if you find the handle a bit unwieldy looking, I believe the Emillion has the same knot with a smaller handle. I would just pick a Heritage. Surf a bit and go with a knot between 21 and 24 mm, and it will give you an outstanding all around brush.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
My question is pretty much the same as his, so any help you could offer in re: Shavemac vs Roonryd would be much appreciated!

Based on what you have described & looking for, sounds like your looking for a Custom Shavemac D01 Sivertip (50mm Loft - 22mm Knot).
Great backbone for soaps, and can hold a boatload of lather. If you are not a face latherer already, you will fast become one with this and quickly end up ditching the bowl.
Luxurious soft tips.
Here's the kicker ... it wont shed a hair.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Rooney 1/2 or 3/1 in Finest

Any reason why you suggested 1/2 and not 1/1?

The one that did it for me was the rooney heritage stubby finest. I love it so much that Ive nearly sold off all my other brushes. I too face lather with soaps only.

Imagine a boar and a badger could combine, thats what a finest feels like. Very stiff at the shafts and uber soft at the tips. A different beast of a brush, I would recommend a 1/1 rooney finest. Thats as close as you will come to the stubby finest.

They sound great, but where do you get them? Vintage Blades don't seem to have them and they don't ship to the UK, unfortunately.

Since the Rooney 3/1 was close, I would suggest a two-band Simpson, probably a Persian Jar 2 or Persian Jar 3. The bristles have a nice firmness but are very soft at the tips. I have been very impressed with my PJ2. A Tulip 3 or Stubby 2 would be good options as well.

I'm interested in your suggestions re: size. PJ 2 or 3 - why not a 1? A Tulip 3? Isn't that the biggest? Are you saying the 2 or 1 would be too small?

To re-iterate, I found my 3/1 near perfect in terms of size, so I can't imagine I'd like any bigger than 22mm knot and 48-50mm loft.

Is there no love for the CH1? How do Tulips/PJ compare to the Chubby? The CH 2 is the only Simpsons brush I've tried.

Thanks!

John

Top Bottom