What's new

laundry help

I have something of a problem my oldest child is 11 and starting to get BO. They have deodorant, and and bathe regularly. But after sport and sometimes due to forgetfulness with regard to deodorant there is a stink that does not wash out:eek:. We use Tide detergent and Downy fabric softener and don't skimp. Has anyone else with kids had this problem and how is it solved.

I'd start with getting rid of Tide and Downy. They're harmful to our environment and are known to cause allergens. Downy, or fabric softener, breaks down material causing it to not last as long as it should. It also decreases the absorbency of towels.

You can try pre-soaking the stinky clothing in a bucket of water w/ vinegar in it. 1/4 C to gallon of water.

Add baking soda to your wash.

Use Borax.

I can handle Tide, but Downy, or all fabric softeners, well, it just ruins clothes.

These scented things we use in our homes is cause for asthma and alzheimers' too.

A little bleach in the whites load will work wonders. You may want to try a presoak with the colors, since you obviously can't use bleach on them.

I had wondered about vinegar but was worried the acidity would bleach or cause the colors to run.

I am guessing that these items are synthetic? little league uniforms and etc?
The fibers of many of these items are very wick-able and grab odors easily.
Washing in Hottest water as possible with a prewash including baking soda, long soak cycle and extra rinses. Hanging outside to dry in the sun is another. Some of the commercial orange based cleaners will work as a pre wash.

I can not seam to get our white towels very clean, they just look dingy. Sometimes I can't even tell if they have been cleaned or not. I've tried using shout, and I put in a full cup of detergent with bleach in with a load, but they still look dingy, it helps a little, but still does not completely work. Does any one have any suggestions?

Diet is not a problem, mostly fresh fruits and vegetables(uncooked), Pasta with fresh herbs and EVOO or walnut oil and a bit of aged cheese, Occasionally(about 3x a week) chicken or fish. I should be so healthy in my diet.

I had wondered about vinegar but was worried the acidity would bleach or cause the colors to run.

+1 on hot water.

No, you'll use a bucket and maybe a 1/4 Cup of vinegar. Hardly enough to do anything. I'm pretty sure vinegar doesn't "bleach" out clothes anyway, so using full strength wouldn't discolor. I may be wrong. Never tried it.

Baking soda or borax and an extra rinse cycle will be your biggest helps. Even just presoaking.

Introduce the kids to the wonderful world of fragrances. EDT's. Wonderful frags, not axe. :)

I'd start with getting rid of Tide and Downy. They're harmful to our environment and are known to cause allergens. Downy, or fabric softener, breaks down material causing it to not last as long as it should. It also decreases the absorbency of towels.

You can try pre-soaking the stinky clothing in a bucket of water w/ vinegar in it. 1/4 C to gallon of water.

Add baking soda to your wash.

Use Borax.

I can handle Tide, but Downy, or all fabric softeners, well, it just ruins clothes.

These scented things we use in our homes is cause for asthma and alzheimers' too.

Interesting! So you're saying we don't need fabric softener? We line dry clothes and they're a bit "crispy" when dry, so we need something other than just detergent in our wash. You mention Baking Soda, is that supposed to go in the softener compartment?

One cup of vinegar works as a fabric softener. You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the vinegar if you want.

You can also mix two parts baking soda plus two parts vinegar plus four parts water. Mix it in a large container because it will fizz when mixed.

Another recipe is one cup glycerin to one gallon of water (never tried this one myself).

Another softener is one part of any cheap hair conditioner to three parts water.

Baking soda and vinegar will also work in the wash for stains and smells. You can also use hydrogen peroxide as a bleach.

- Peter

Downy, or fabric softener, breaks down material causing it to not last as long as it should. It also decreases the absorbency of towels.

I'll have to argue against this. I have used fabric softener (I prefer Swavatel, my wife likes Downy) in just about every load of clothes I have washed for the last 10 years or so, and I have some clothes that I have been wearing for 5+ years that still look like they did the day I bought them. I've also never had a problem with towels not being absorbent.

Here's what I've done in the past for odiforous clothes. I use the enzyme pet odor remover (I have a cat). I put the offending clothes in a clear trash bag (haven't tried it with black plastic bags). Put in a splash (1/2 cup or so) of the enzyme cat pee neutralizer and tie the bag shut. This is important because you don't want any evaporation. Let the bag sit in the laundry room overnight. Put the damp clothes into the washer and wash as usual. Presto, odor gone and so far no damage to fabrics although I wouldn't try it on wool or silk. Another benefit to this is that it removes stains from, ahem, t-shirt pits and, double ahem, soiled underwear.

umm.. laundry.. I do that stuff alot..

I use cold water wash, Simplicity (hypo-allergic), Downey (I have a theory that softener increases the lifespan on socks), Clorox Bleach (The thick kind)

Separate color loads from whites.. Separate load for work clothing like coveralls, jeans. I deal with alot of Nomex so cold water wash.

I work in the harbor, sewer, waste management, sulfur units... So yeah my clothing starts to smell pretty bad.. and use a laundry mat..
Has personal hygiene stuff.. I use clinical protection Degree because its hypo allergic. :closedeye

I can not seam to get our white towels very clean, they just look dingy. Sometimes I can't even tell if they have been cleaned or not. I've tried using shout, and I put in a full cup of detergent with bleach in with a load, but they still look dingy, it helps a little, but still does not completely work. Does any one have any suggestions?

Try oxyclean. Work's great on whites and colors.

Clayton

Timing on the bleach can be important. It needs to go in at a particular point in the wash cycle, tho most machines now take care of that automatically if they have a dispenser. Check the label, maybe your timing is off. Also, if the towels are (part) synthetic, they won't bleach well. Time for new towels in that case.

Top Bottom