What's new

laundry help

For whites, consider both bleach and something like OxiClean. I believe I read somewhere that one attacks organic stains better, while the other treats inorganic stains better. When I use both, I get much better whitening results, and also don't get the bleach "yellowing". I play lots of soccer, and my socks get very dirty ... but the combination keeps my socks almost newly white. If your whites aren't heavily soiled, steer away from heavy bleach/OxiClean as they both tend to deteriorate the material ... only use it on soiled/stained clothes.

Also, I've heard that putting some Fabreeze in the wash will help with odors, but one thing I've noticed even with Fabreeze is that clothes that have been heavily perspired in, will even when washed, begin smelling immediately upon wearing them in a sporting event. What I've found (for non-whites ... as bleach kills any bacteria on whites) is that heating the water up as high as it will go does the trick ... I have a "sanitary" setting on my washer, and never have the residual odor issue any more.

Ditch the deodorant and switch to antiperspirant.

In a LOT of the world they use the venerable alum blocks we use for shaving as an antiperspirant. Cheap, NO other added chemicals than the plain old aluminum potassium double salt. It can be found under the brand name "Thai Crystal". Cheap too.

I've used it and it works great although for hardcore sweating where you don't want to smell (working in an overheated trauma-bay, wearing a lead apron and PPE while stressed trying to save a mangled motorcyclist, but also surrounded by cute young nurses) :wink: nothing beats Mitchum.

I always wondered how Arab men kept their white clothes so brilliantly white, while living in a seemingly dusty dirty location.

Ditch the deodorant, get some alum blocks for the kiddos. Thai Crystal is one of the common brand names and makes a wonderful deodorant. Where deodorant basically covers smell and AP stops sweating alum stops the smell from starting.

For the cloths, try a pre soak.

Find a blue haired older lady and ask her.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
proxy.php

I have something of a problem my oldest child is 11 and starting to get BO. They have deodorant, and and bathe regularly. But after sport and sometimes due to forgetfulness with regard to deodorant there is a stink that does not wash out:eek:. We use Tide detergent and Downy fabric softener and don't skimp. Has anyone else with kids had this problem and how is it solved.

i'd say call an exorcist :biggrin:

Thanks for all the replies. The wife tells me it is an antiperspirant/deodorant. So that's been done but getting the kid to remember and use it every day is another matter. We're going to try the vinegar and baking soda added in the softener dispenser to start and if that fails try to pretreat with the pet enzyme odor remover.

Top Bottom