What's new

Tech Heads

Was wondering how many different styles of Tech heads there are relative to the logo on the top of it. On the forum I have seen one that has the Gillette triangle with the name Gillette inside it that looks etched. I have seen one with just the name Gillette, again looks like etching, and the letters are "broken". Mine has the name Gillette on it, but it looks more stamped than etched. Do these variations indicate when or where manufactured? Are there more variations, no name/logo at all? Thanks, John

Was wondering how many different styles of Tech heads there are relative to the logo on the top of it. On the forum I have seen one that has the Gillette triangle with the name Gillette inside it that looks etched. I have seen one with just the name Gillette, again looks like etching, and the letters are "broken". Mine has the name Gillette on it, but it looks more stamped than etched. Do these variations indicate when or where manufactured? Are there more variations, no name/logo at all? Thanks, John

If your cap is has embossed letters with bevel ends then it's one of the later models and is made from zinc instead of copper or brass and is about 50% lighter at apx 10 grams.

Yes, there are also some with no name or logo. I have an early fat handled Tech ('38-'45) that has no logo on the cap.

If your cap is has embossed letters with bevel ends then it's one of the later models and is made from zinc instead of copper or brass and is about 50% lighter at apx 10 grams.

Ah ha!!!! That explains why it feels light! Was about to put a magnet to it to see if it was ferrous. Believe the date code is P2 or P4. Just got it from b/s/t; haven't tried it yet. Not sure that lighter is better, but why shall see. Thank you very much, John

Cooncatbob, was the entire razor (head and handle) made from zinc? Or just the handle? Can't find a magnet!! Thanks, John

Just the cap, the base plate and handle are plated brass.

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but was there a reason? Less expense? Less prone to wear or corrosion? A long time ago, during college, I worked in a boiler factory. We made inner liners for hot water heaters out of steel, then galvanized them in zinc. I worked at the zinc vat. Know the zinc was to preserve the steel, but not sure how that equates to the razor. Thanks again, John

Sorry to be so inquisitive, but was there a reason? Less expense? Less prone to wear or corrosion? A long time ago, during college, I worked in a boiler factory. We made inner liners for hot water heaters out of steel, then galvanized them in zinc. I worked at the zinc vat. Know the zinc was to preserve the steel, but not sure how that equates to the razor. Thanks again, John

Zinc is cheaper then brass, melts at a low temperature and is easy to cast.
Just google "pot metal" and you learn more then you ever wanted to know.
Galvanizing is a different deal, keeps steel from rusting and is cheaper then making the parts from Stainless Steel.

Top Bottom