What's new

Alum Powder

I was recently in an old country store and I was scanning the shelves for any vintage shaving items (none found), but I spotted a can of powder alum, it was in a spice looking can, and from what I've read it is used for making pickles. Has anyone seen this and considered using it instead of an alum block? I also considered getting it and disolving in Witch Hazel to make a super aftershave. Any experiences with this?

I've heard of using powdered alum in the kitchen for various things, but not for using in shaving. Not sure I'd use it until I learned more...

I've used the same can of alum powder for shaving nicks for over 40 years. The label fell off long ago so I have no idea what it's actually called. I think they used to sell it in drug stores. It's about the same size as a 6oz can of tomato paste. The alum left is now chunky from dipping my wet finger into it, but it still works. Of course I've only just begun to use a DE, so I don't know how long the remainder will last. It works great for nicks. I didn't even realize it's now hard to find. Guess I'd better start my hunt for a new can.

http://www.spicebarn.com/alum_powder.htm
http://www.granarybulkfoods.com/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=25375900000&PNAME="ALUM+POWDER%2C+FOOD+GRADE"

The one saw in the store was in one of the old square metal spice containers (like black pepper still comes in). That's why I'm asking on here Whosyerbob, thought maybe I could get some info. I'm kinda hesitant that it might cause a chemical reaction or something.

My alum powder is in a container similar to old cans of baking powder. Round, sturdy cardboard sides, tin (like) top and bottom. The lid has a lip that has to be pried off. I never mixed the stuff, except with some water to cover nicks. Never had a problem using it and the stuff is now over 40 years old and still works good. My rule has always been, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so I never tried anything else. After reading some of the posts here, I am going to pick up an alum bar to see how that compares.

Top Bottom