What's new

Aftershave/balms

I have been wet shaving for about a month, all the while I've only used Nivea Replenishing balm. Recently out of curiosity I purchased some Aqua Velva Cool Sport aftershave splash. The first ingredient is alcohol heh. So, I've read some posts on here about guys liking the "burn" as it gives them the feedback on their shave.

I felt the burn in a couple of places that I expected to with my first application of the Aqua Velva. But I really didn't care of how my face felt afterwards. In fact I needed to use the Nivea within a couple of minutes because it just makes my face feel so good.

What is it about the splashes that is so good after a shave? I've seen some advice that balms are okay but that aftershaves are preferred. I am not sure I'll use anything other than Nivea for awhile if all splashes feel like the Aqua Velva.

Thoughts?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have been wet shaving for about a month, all the while I've only used Nivea Replenishing balm. Recently out of curiosity I purchased some Aqua Velva Cool Sport aftershave splash. The first ingredient is alcohol heh. So, I've read some posts on here about guys liking the "burn" as it gives them the feedback on their shave.

I felt the burn in a couple of places that I expected to with my first application of the Aqua Velva. But I really didn't care of how my face felt afterwards. In fact I needed to use the Nivea within a couple of minutes because it just makes my face feel so good.

What is it about the splashes that is so good after a shave? I've seen some advice that balms are okay but that aftershaves are preferred. I am not sure I'll use anything other than Nivea for awhile if all splashes feel like the Aqua Velva.

Thoughts?

Some of us here like that burn from the alcohol, it's a personal preference kind of thing. Others feel that the alcohol may be drying to the skin. I have never had an issue with it really.
The Aqua Velva has menthol, and the feeling you had may be ascribed to that rather than the alcohol itself.

If you prefer the Nivea, then go for it, no worries.

If you want to experiment, try some of the other alcohol based splashes that don't have menthol.

Good Luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome! Witch hazel is what I use first, and that helps me discover the areas I need to be more careful with the next time around. AS or ASB is last, depending on how I feel.

One thing that I like about a splash is that it never leaves my face feeling "tacky" or with too much moisture as can happen sometimes if I go a bit heavy on the balm. I have also come to like the burn a bit more (never thought I'd say that) as part of the routine. Splashes tend to not have much of any moisturizing quality to them though so if you have dry skin they likely will not help too much.

I do like to switch back and forth though. I have both and it just depends on what I am feeling that day. If you like the Nivea and it is working for you stick with it.

I do know that after shave is a personal choice. I say use what you like. That being said here is what I use and have:

Pinaud Clubman: Love it, but it is unforgiving if you have a bad shave...it will burn
Swan AS from Dollar General: knock off of Aqua Velva Classic: I like it
Gillette Series AS gel: cooling, light on fragrance, absorbs into skin, little burn if at all
Gillette Series AS lotion: like this as well
Barbersol AS from Dollar General: do not like this, too much menthol and cooling for me

I do not like alcohol burn but I have not tried a balm yet so I have nothing to say about them. I do not like greesey feeling balms and that is all I know about a balm so far. :) I hope this helps.

Paul

If you get a burn from the alcohol, your technique needs work. Aftershaves like Pinaud Clubman, Lilac Vegetol, Florida Water, and some Bay Rums, to name a few, are going to burn no matter what due to another ingredient in the Aftershave.

I agree that you should give Proraso a try. I prefer the aftershave balm, but they make a great splash, too.

Would that be the same as the CO Bigelow brand at bath and body works? Man, I just tried my first Feather blade today....up until now I had no idea what a "weeper" was...now I do! HAHA....Totally weird how you can shave, not feel a thing then BAM...you're bleeding...

At any rate, I think I prefer the Derby and Astra blades the best so far. I know the feathers are sharp, but they don't agree with my technique, and I really don't want to change what I'm doing just for a blade.

Btw, I opted for balm today ;-) no way was I going to throw alcohol on my face with these babies ready to sting. Have a great day all!

Top Bottom