What's new

Cheap Oil to use on a Straight?

Do most folks just use baby oil or mineral oil or something altogether different? Where I live, it is super humid so I don't want it to rust.

camellia oil is what most folks use. You can find it at wood working stores as it's used to protect tools from rust

I use mineral oil. Lighter the better. If it was good for katanas, its good for my razors. :biggrin:

Besides, you can get the stuff at Walmart & Target & CVC & everywhere. Just have to ask for the light stuff, might have to special order it. Bed bath & beyond sells the light version.

Why is lighter better? Its just thinner, I think it coats the blade more evenly, but for everyday protection, I'm sure the regular stuff works just as good. I just want the thin stuff because of my sword background/knowledge.

I remeber asking a question like this awhile ago. Someone suggested using almond oil because you can use it on your straight and skin (or cook with it).

I went and bought some cold pressed sweet almond oil and it has worked well. Where I live it is very dry so I use it on dry spots on my skin more often then for storing my starights so, ymmv.:wink2:

If I know I am not going to be using a certain blade for a while I will wipe some neosporin on it. I keep it in my shaving kit so it is very easy to access.

Use what you can get your hands on locally. Maybe Ballistol or WD-40 if you can. (But if you use what the others have suggested you're ok, too)

I keep my blades in a pretty dry place, but I was considering oiling them anyway. Not entirely clear how that works, though. Do you guys just close the razor as usual, getting a bit on the scales, or do you not close the blade all the way, so that it doesn't touch the scales?

used a nice gun oil on a razor for a long time.

You know, I never even thought of that, and I oil my pistol once every month or two, even when I'm not actively shooting it. That stuff has good anti-corrosion properties and smells good (in my opinion) to boot.

Top Bottom