What's new

Palmolive shave stick vs. Mennen shave stick (Oz)

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Following a question that I asked in the Great Southern Land social group, well, I had to dive in and see what would be the difference between the Palmolive shave stick and Mennen shave stick. Both sticks are made in Australia...

First I thought they were the same. The ingredient list is very close.

Palmolive shave stick:
Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Stearic Acid, Water, Glycerin, Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasoduim Etidronate, CI 74260, CI 11680, CI 77266.

Mennen shave stick:
Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Potassium Stearate, Stearic Acid, Water, Glycerin, Palm Kernel Acid, Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasoduim Etidronate, Pigment Green 7, Pigment Yellow 1, CI 77266.

Price? Both $1.99 AUD

Bar code: 9363 2768 - Both sticks have the same

Palmolive is made for Colgate-Palmolive PTY LTD, 345 George Street, Sydney, 2000 or Colgate-Palmolive LTD, 45 Knights Road, Lower Hutt, NZ.

Mennen address is 345 George Street Sydney, Nevis Street Petone NZ.

Now, from there, you will probably conclude they are the same?

I'm not 100% sure. They do seem to be made for the same office (345 George Street, Sydney) but they don't smell the exact same or are the exact same color.

I will need to try them both to see or feel or smell a difference...

Almost forgot, last piece of info... There's a small product number on both packages...

Palmolive: P1207166
Mennen: P1299799

I am unsure is Mennen shave sticks will be replaced by Palmolive but I surely never saw Palmolive shave stick before... I always saw Mennen... They might be the same in the end but it's a bit strange... If the Palmolive shave stick is the same than the Palmolive shaving cream that we have in Oz, that will be great!

Attachments

• $SANY2863.jpg
    $SANY2863.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,611
  • $SANY2868.jpg
    $SANY2868.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,558
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts... I've become a shave stick enthusiast recently and am always curious to find new ones!

edit: I also wonder if the AUS Palmolive stick is different from the EU Palmolive stick I've received in trade from another B&B member. Packaging is different, but that's nothing new...

Last edited:
Luc I have been using these shave sticks ( and so did my dad) for years. If fact, when I was living in Japan in the 90's, I would make sure I stocked up on them everytime I came back to Australia. They used to be called Palmolive originally. I can't remember when they changed to Mennen.

Luc

Staff member
Luc I have been using these shave sticks ( and so did my dad) for years. If fact, when I was living in Japan in the 90's, I would make sure I stocked up on them everytime I came back to Australia. They used to be called Palmolive originally. I can't remember when they changed to Mennen.

Do you think that my local Coles found a box in their storage? :biggrin:

Luc

Staff member
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts... I've become a shave stick enthusiast recently and am always curious to find new ones!

edit: I also wonder if the AUS Palmolive stick is different from the EU Palmolive stick I've received in trade from another B&B member. Packaging is different, but that's nothing new...

No worries, if you are after a good stick, The Good Oil company makes a good hemp stick!

Christian I have both the EU & Australian sticks and they are different. The EU is better IMO. The Australian one isn't bad just not as good.

Luc

Staff member
I just checked the packaging, it's not NOS... Batch says 9/09 in Palmolive

08 in Mennen...

Luc

Staff member
The old Mennen cream is now called Palmolive over here.:confused:It smells exactly like Mennen.:smile:

is it? They don't smell the same... It must be psychological...

Christian I have both the EU & Australian sticks and they are different. The EU is better IMO. The Australian one isn't bad just not as good.

Could you tell us something about the difference? I only know the EU (german) version but I am intrigued by the fact that there is another stick around too.

The german stick is very good IMO and a steal for what they charge for it overhere.

Could you tell us something about the difference? I only know the EU (german) version but I am intrigued by the fact that there is another stick around too.

The german stick is very good IMO and a steal for what they charge for it overhere.

The scent is about the same. I think the EU one lathers better. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send you one if you wish:smile:

Luc

Staff member
Back from Woolies in QV building, Melbourne CBD. They also have the Palmolive stick and there's a few Mennen sticks at the back...

Guess what I saw today.

Mennen in a completely different package again....

Much greener artwork.

Was in a rush so didn't have time to pick one up ( though I'm not that sure I really want to :001_smile )

I'll take one for the team and go and get one this arvo and post piccies............

As per above post, this is $3.95 a stick of Mennen( from the local Tobacconist/Hairdresser ). I know the guys in there and first asked if I could take a photo, got some very strange looks from Robyn, and when I saw it had Tallow, bought one instead.

Ingredients: Sodium and pottasiumstearate, sodium tallowate, sodium concoate and/or palm kernelate, water, glycerine, sodium silicate, fragrance, sodium dodecybenzenesulphonate, hydropropyl methylcellulose, salt, pigment green 7, pigment yellow 1, pigment black 7.

Looks different again from the European Palmolive stick ingredients.
Potassium Hydrogenated Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua, Glycerin, Parfum, Olea Europaea, Elaeis Guineensis, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, BHT, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, CI 11680, CI 12490, CI 74260, CI 77891

Made in Fiji

Palmolive Skincare - 345 George Street Sydney, Nevis Street, Petone, N.Z.

Bar Code: 9363 2768 ( same as those above !!!)

No batch number or little product number.

No one seen this one before ???

There could be a new player in town ( or it could be an old player, I'm not sure what sort of turnover of shaving stuff the guys have )

Guess what I'm shaving with tomorrow morning ???? :001_smile

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

No one seen this one before ???

Last edited:
Interesting you say it was made in Fiji. at one time in the 1990's they were made there for a short time, but then all I saw was the shave stick made in Australia only. Have they gone back to Fiji? The plot thickens...

Last edited:
Interesting you say it was made in Fiji. at one time in the 1900's they were made there for a short time, but then all I saw was the shave stick made in Australia only. Have they gone back to Fiji? The plot thickens...

There's no dating on the package whatsoever.

It is possible that it's NOS ( though probably not that old as the package is barcoded ( which makes it post 1973 ) )

The shop has been there ever since I can remember....way before Nigel and Robyn took it over.....

As I say, I'm guessing turnover of this sort of item in Hobart isn't going to be high !!!!

Here's a quick shot of "normal" Mennen in comparison ( RHS ).

You can almost see the tallowy goodness popping out in comparison :001_smile

proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Ian, the date was inside the package in my case. Look at one of the end of the package, printed in black. I can post a picture if it can give you a better idea...

So, that's a 100gr stick?

Interesting, the Mennen conspiracy continues!

I just got back from Coles. They had both the mennen stick and the "newer" palmolive stick. I got the palmolive. See how it goes.

Top Bottom