What's new

Dinner Ideas

I have about a pound (maybe 2) of ground beef and don't know what to make. I want something easy and am thinking about enchiladas or chili. Anybody have any good recipes they want to share? Normally my chili consists of just tomato sauce, onions, corn, meat, beans, and seasonings that I just dump into it. As for enchiladas, I simply follow the directions on the back of a can of the sauce. Other ideas are also welcome.

Taquitos my friend.:w00t: Not for the health conscious but it's the weekend so it doesn't count.

Season the meat with regular garlic salt. Buy a bag of corn tortilla's. Use an electric skillet if you have one or even a frying pan.

Warm the tortillas on the skillet/pan WITHOUT oil first so you can roll them without break them. Just soft and warm. Pour enough beef to fill it but make sure it doesn't spill. My mom taught me the important part; toothpicks. use them to keep them wrapped.

Warm your skillet/pan with oil (be careful because it will shoot oil up) with tongs just place them one at a time until brown. Try 1 or 2 at a time first because if you place too many it is easy to burn because of the oil shooting back at you.:cursing:

Condiments;I make my own guacamole but Costco has a great frozen one and just warm it with water and presto. Grab some sour cream, salsa, cabbage/lettuce to put on the taquitos.

20 minutes from start to finish. :drool:

That sounds pretty good. I imagine they are easy to reheat too and for only 20 minutes worth of work that's my kind of style. Thanks.

Tried this recipe (not mine) last week and it turned out quite well. Not very gourmet, but easy and tasty. I made my own taco seasoning instead of using a packet, and garnished with regular tortilla chips instead of doritos.

TACO SOUP
1 lb. hamburger, browned and drained
1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
1 small jar salsa
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 large can tomato juice
2 packages taco seasoning
shredded cheddar cheese
Doritos, crunched up
sour cream

Mix meat, onion, salsa, drained beans and corn, tomato juice and taco seasoning in Crock Pot. Cook on low 6-8 hour or on high 4 hours, or until hot. Serve topped with cheddar cheese, Doritos and sour cream.

Meat-a-balls n a spa getty

I like to throw my meatballs on my BGE smoker.
They pick up enough smoke that when I put them in the
simmering sauce, the sauce takes on some of the smoke flavor.

Tried this recipe (not mine) last week and it turned out quite well. Not very gourmet, but easy and tasty. I made my own taco seasoning instead of using a packet, and garnished with regular tortilla chips instead of doritos.

TACO SOUP
1 lb. hamburger, browned and drained
1 medium onion, chopped (optional)
1 small jar salsa
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 large can tomato juice
2 packages taco seasoning
shredded cheddar cheese
Doritos, crunched up
sour cream

Mix meat, onion, salsa, drained beans and corn, tomato juice and taco seasoning in Crock Pot. Cook on low 6-8 hour or on high 4 hours, or until hot. Serve topped with cheddar cheese, Doritos and sour cream.

This sounds like something I would make :redface:

Sloppy Joes!

Thats a great idea.

Here is another fast idea. I call it, well, I cant tell you what I really call it :wink: Lets just call it Pantry chilli.

One pound of ground beef, cooked and drained.
One can of crushed tomatoes
One can of beans, I use what ever I have, pinto's, black beans, kidney.
One can of enchilada sauce
One can of beef broth, or chicken broth
If you like it thinner you can add some water, I add more broth.

Heat this all up and then, get out your spices and add
Salt and pepper
Cumin
Chili powder
Paprika
Smoked paprika
Ancho chili powder
Garlic powder or granulated garlic
Onion powder
Oregano

I add the spices to taste.

Serve in bowls, garnished with fresh diced tomatoes, avocado, chopped cilantro and cheese. My wife and oldest kid like to add a little sour cream :confused:

Crushed up corn chips are another great (not healthy) addition.

Apparently not from MN one lb of burger that you don't know what to do with = one hotdish!

Lots of various things for that
Mine is
1 can of petite diced tomatoes,
1 can of corn (or a few cups of frozen)
a few large handfuls of egg noodles
a smalled diced onion
Black pepper/salt/garlic season to taste
pretty easy, just mix it all together, put enough water in to just about cover the egg noodles and about 15-20 minutes later u have a real easy dish.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Tacos with salsa and guacamole would be my first choice...

Sherperd pie is on the list. mmm, Macaroni and cheese. Spaghetti Bolognaise... Hamburgers... can't think of anything else now...

Apparently not from MN one lb of burger that you don't know what to do with = one hotdish!

Lots of various things for that
Mine is
1 can of petite diced tomatoes,
1 can of corn (or a few cups of frozen)
a few large handfuls of egg noodles
a smalled diced onion
Black pepper/salt/garlic season to taste
pretty easy, just mix it all together, put enough water in to just about cover the egg noodles and about 15-20 minutes later u have a real easy dish.

haha, actually, I went to school in Minnesota and know all about hotdish. However, the school cafeteria destroyed any desire to eat any of it again.

I usually do this with ground lamb, but it would probably still taste good with beef.

Chop a red onion, parsley, and garlic. Mix all three in the meat along with salt, pepper, oregano, and olive oil (not too much). Take some feta and cut it into strips (a little under 1" square). Take some meat and start to form a patty. Then take a piece of feta and put it right on top in the middle. Slap some more meat on top and form a full patty so that no feta is exposed. Grill until done.

Some cheese might melt out of the burger, but that's no problem. You can serve them with with or without buns (I prefer without) and a lemon wedge. Tzatziki also goes great with these.

If you don't want to wait for the cucumber to drain, just squeeze out the moisture by putting the cucumber in a cheese cloth or a tiny-holed colander. I would also use Greek style yogurt. Fage is a great brand and is starting to pop up in most major grocery stores. You can almost always find it in specialty stores and organic.

Sorry, I don't have measurements. I just add ingredients until it looks like there is enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom