What's new

What causes most cuts?

I'm nervous about cuts. I don't think I've ever drawn blood with a more modern razor, so what is the main foul up that causes nicks and cuts?

I would say too much pressure and also lapses in concentration.

Go slow, and easy. BTW even a little weeper or nicks really don't hurt and are usually self healing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I would have to say it is most likely the result of moving the razor in a direction not intended for cutting hair, that's not a smart aleck answer, bear with me.
The blade is meant to cut the hair as it moves across the face, with the widest part of the blade moving in a straight line.
If the razor is moved in a direction parallel to the cutting edge, and it doesn't take much, there is a cut.
Likewise, twisting the razor as you go to position it for a pass while it's still in contact can do the same.
Getting the blade angle really off can cause bleeding, but not due to a nick or cut, but due to a "weeper" that is a badly irritated hair follicle that starts to weep blood.
Finally, there is just the old running over a road bump kind of cut, where you have a raised bit, and take too long a stroke or forget about it, etc.
If the prep and lather are good, and you have the razor at the proper angle, and you take the razor off the face before repositioning, and you don't use pressure, cuts and nicks should be few and far between.
Hope that helps.

phil said what I would have said, only better.

dont worry about cutting yourself though, you see the cut rather than feel it

To be honest any time i've nicked myself and have not noticed until i saw the blood. Just happens due to a lack of concentration when it happens to me.

The responders here are absolutely correct. I find I cut myself when I go too fast or don't concentrate, which essentially, are one in the same. For me, at least.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would say too much pressure and also lapses in concentration.

+1

Go slow, and easy. BTW even a little weeper or nicks really don't hurt and are usually self healing.

I would have to say it is most likely the result of moving the razor in a direction not intended for cutting hair, that's not a smart aleck answer, bear with me.
The blade is meant to cut the hair as it moves across the face, with the widest part of the blade moving in a straight line.
If the razor is moved in a direction parallel to the cutting edge, and it doesn't take much, there is a cut.
Likewise, twisting the razor as you go to position it for a pass while it's still in contact can do the same.
Getting the blade angle really off can cause bleeding, but not due to a nick or cut, but due to a "weeper" that is a badly irritated hair follicle that starts to weep blood.
Finally, there is just the old running over a road bump kind of cut, where you have a raised bit, and take too long a stroke or forget about it, etc.
If the prep and lather are good, and you have the razor at the proper angle, and you take the razor off the face before repositioning, and you don't use pressure, cuts and nicks should be few and far between.
Hope that helps.

+1

What I thought!

Either the razor blade moves sideways, or the skin moves under the blade. Paying attention to what you are doing reduces nicks.

There is not need to be nervous about cutting yourself.
(1) it doesn't hurt;
(2) most weepers stop bleeding without any intervention on your part;
(3) the slightly more problematic weepers will usually stop bleeding with an alum block application;
(4) if you really blow it, styptic pencils are fun with science!

Unless you're shaving while standing up in the bed of a moving pick up truck, you won't do any real damage to your face.

Take it slow, and enjoy the shave!

We all get a few nicks and weepers learning. They don't hurt; these are tiny cuts. I've only ever needed Witch hazel to fix up any of these straight way; they are usually that superficial.

Slow, and no pressure other than the weight of the razor against your face is the way to go.

In my 8 years of shaving, which still isn't that many, (only about 2 months DE) I've only ever been "cut" once. I don't remember how I did it, but I remember that it wasn't as bad as I though it would be. The blades are so sharp that they don't hurt. Weepers (small patches of skin removed while shaving with too much pressure or improper angle, that bleed profusely) and bumps are much more of a concern of mine. Give it a two weeks, tops, and you'll have learned proper pressure enough to stave off these little buggers for the most part. Even if you get them, they are much more a problem for appearance than pain in my experience. Menthol and witch hazel or alum/styptic help. Cheers, and enjoy the ride!

The majority of my cuts (except for small weepers) have not been during a shave stoke but when I have moved the razor from one place to another and accidentally came in contact with the razor.

lapses in concentration
+ ∞ (infinity symbol)

I let my mind wander a few days ago while shaving and really gashed my cheek. Bled like a stuck pig until I could finally seal it with "My Nik is Sealed" liquid styptic.

Needless to say, I have a laser-like focus now. :lol:

I now feel nervous at the idea of using a disposable (seriously).

You get used to it.

My main causes
- lapses of concentration
- leaving blade on the face while thinking of next stroke (I'm using straight)

If I start to fuss too much over a spot I get razor burn and occasionally a nick.

All the best,
Michael.

Top Bottom