What's new

Face Burns but is it Razor Burn?

Hello. I've been at it for a couple weeks now using a Merkur HD and Derby Blades. I've been doing 3 passes usually wtg, xtg, atg. Using Proraso shaving cream and I feel like I'm getting a pretty good lather. My problem is that after the shave, not right after it, maybe 5 minutes after I've applied my aftershave (nivea balm) my face starts to burn. Maybe a dumb question but is this razor burn? I have only had one or two little weepers since I've been doing this and my red bumps on my neck are disappearing fast so I am thinking I am getting the hang of it but then I get this burning sensation. I almost wish I would nick myself more since then at least I'd know it was blade pressure or something! Any insights would be appreciated.

Sounds like burn. It often doesn't kick in until later.

The only way to be really sure is to change your routine completely. Use completely different shaving cream and AS. Also, don't go for BBS, because you can get itch that can feel a little like burn just from shaving too close, even if you shave inconsistently and miss some hairs there.

Or do it the other way around. Go through your routine witout a blade. Try using the shaving cream, letting it sit about as long each pass, and relather three times for your three passes, making sure to use the brush the same way as when you shave. Then, rinse and use after shave just as if you'd shaved. Make sure to do the same prep. Only skip the blade work.

From what you are describing it's most likely mild razor burn. I suspect you are getting a pretty close shave. My advice would be to apply a post shave treatment. I use Lab Series Burn Releif and occasionally Kheil's but Nivea is well reviewed on this site. Also, I am not a huge fan of Derbys and have had more comfortable shaves with Astra's and Feathers.

Good Luck....

Could also be the menthol in the Proraso, as some people have varying levels of reactions to it. Have you tried another soap or cream instead?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
One way to be sure, change one thing at a time and you can eliminate possible causes. No need to get extravagant, a puck of VDH soap from Walmart ($1.50), and a bottle of cheap AS from the same store ($5.00) and you'll know for sure.
Good Luck, and keep us posted.

I've found that if I use a regular "cooling" type of gel, 5-10 minutes later I get some of the burning, too. I think yours, like mine, is probably from too much pressure. However, I find that using an AS that is a little stronger works better for relieving the burn. I'm using Mama Bears summer milk AS and it has some KICK to it. It really lets you know where you went too close, but also stops that burning that shows up later.

In fact, I tried a cooling gel the other night. After 10 minutes I felt some burn and rinsed off the gel and applied Mama Bear's. No more burning.

Of course, the best thing would be for me to learn not to go too close in the first place :001_tongu . But, you may get some relief by trying a different AS while you're working out your technique. Good luck!

Sax

+1 to razor burn and +1 to trying new products just in case it could be an allergic reaction.

I once had razor burn so bad it lasted more than 24 hours - my chin was so red it was glowing :eek::redface:

Bunch of good advice already given, I would only add to try to skip the ATG pass for a lil while and see if that helps. You might need some time to keep developing your technique.

Bunch of good advice already given, I would only add to try to skip the ATG pass for a lil while and see if that helps. You might need some time to keep developing your technique.

Agreed. How many passes do you do, jgjoneslaw? I started with 4 passes and had too much burn. After a few months, I dropped it down to 3 passes and skipped the ATG, for the most part. My neck couldn't take it. Try fewer passes and more XTG instead of ATG. That helped me greatly.

It look like razor burn, maybe u are doing too much pass, reduce to 2 WTG pass for a while, and maybe change your blades, i had the same issue and when i changed brand of blades my problem was solve, try a sample pack of blades.

I would agree it sounds like burn. I'm relatively new to DE shaving as well. I have good days with little to no burn then I have today-whole lotta burn after shaving and like you, it didn't manifest itself until after I was completely done with my routine and about to add aftershave.

Ole Aqua Velva sure gives one heck of a wakeup call but it really soothes my burn.

Top Bottom