What's new

Have the pen - now I need to learn how to write

Did i saw a book stating?

How handwriting can change your life :confused:

I believe it...if writing in check books!!!:biggrin:

That's something you should have learned in 2nd grade.

really, in times past in elementary school they used to literally slap kids around over this. really good penmanship is something you either have or don't. Women write way better than men and that's a fact and some just write better than others. Can you practice and change? I'm skeptical once your older.

That's something you should have learned in 2nd grade.

really, in times past in elementary school they used to literally slap kids around over this. really good penmanship is something you either have or don't. Women write way better than men and that's a fact and some just write better than others. Can you practice and change? I'm skeptical once your older.

Sure you can. It is just a practiced skill like many things. The more you practice, the better you get. I have been going through the Fix It Write book because I couldn't easily order the Write Now book. It appears both of these books teach the italic form of writing. The base letters are formed all the same way, then it is either print or cursive depending if you join the letters or not. I less than one week in and will check my progress after another week of sessions.

That\'s something you should have learned in 2nd grade.

really, in times past in elementary school they used to literally slap kids around over this. really good penmanship is something you either have or don\'t. Women write way better than men and that\'s a fact and some just write better than others. Can you practice and change? I\'m skeptical once your older.

Well in modern days what they teach you in the 2nd grade is a joke with regards to penmanship.

Penmanship is an art. Just like for painters, musicians, dancers, etc. practice makes perfect.

If your talking about printing I agree you can change the way you write and improve but cursive is a different story. Everyone writes differently. Your writing is almost like a fingerprint and everyone is different. Its a brain hand communication thing and its consistant through someones life.

Also cursive writing is speed writing as opposed to printing. I'm still skeptical you can improve your cursive writing.

You can absolutely improve your writing, no matter how old you are. It just takes practice. Examine some writing that you admire and attempt to emulate it. Italic, cursive, or otherwise. Of great importance is learning proper letterforms. Focus on consistency in shape, slant, size, spacing between letters. All it takes is practice. It may take a LOT of practice, but with some patience and commitment you can absolutely improve your script. Even if you have to write very slowly at first to maintain proper form, that's okay. With practice, speed will come as your muscle memory improves.

I liken it to learning how to shave with a single-bladed razor. Yeah, you can go through life mushing a Mach 3 against your face with mediocre results. Or you can put the time and effort in to learn how to shave properly, get excellent results and have a rewarding experience every time you shave. It's the same with writing--sure you can just scribble on paper just as you have every day and lament that you don't have better handwriting, or you can take the initiative and do something to change it. I firmly believe a gentleman should have an attractive and easy-to-read script. IMO the most rewarding things in life are not easy.

If you're interested in developing nice italic letterforms, this is a good starting point.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm still skeptical you can improve your cursive writing.

We don't allow things like that here. :wink2:

(But based on personal experience, spending a few summers working as a labourer with a bunch of Teamsters will make you much better at expressing yoruself cursively.)

Top Bottom