What's new

Perilous Whiskey

In Scotland they once had something called Uisquebagh-Baul or "Perilous Whiskey" This was distilled 4 times. They said 1 tspn would knock you on yer butt and 2 would kill you dead. Someone is actually still making this believe it or not.. http://www.bruichladdich.com/latestnewsarticles/quadruple.htm but I have to say I would be hesitant to try this.

Also the Scots would once test the virtue of a prime Uisque "Whiskey" by mixing it with gun powder.... if it didn't explode, they said it wasn't worth the effort to swallow it.. I would also be hesitant to try this...

Last edited:
Mama, send me a PM and I'll send you a link with photos I took while at the Bruichladdich Distillery.

Have you heard Robin Laing's, "The Coast of Heaven", a song dedicated to Bruichladdich?

On Islay, they say, "May God preserve us from any ills whisky can't cure!"

Slainte!

Mama, send me a PM and I'll send you a link with photos I took while at the Bruichladdich Distillery.

Have you heard Robin Laing's, "The Coast of Heaven", a song dedicated to Bruichladdich?

On Islay, they say, "May God preserve us from any ills whisky can't cure!"

Slainte!

Doing that right now.. you should post them here tho for all to enjoy..

Did you.. er.. try the Uisquebagh-Baul by any chance??? :w00t:

I think Robins song is on that link that I posted.. here it is....... http://www.realmalt.com/bruimageaudio/robinlaing/uisquebaugh.wma

In Scotland they once had something called Uisquebagh-Baul or "Perilous Whiskey" This was distilled 4 times. They said 1 tspn would knock you on yer butt and 2 would kill you dead. Someone is actually still making this believe it or not.. http://www.bruichladdich.com/latestnewsarticles/quadruple.htm but I have to say I would be hesitant to try this.

Also the Scots would once test the virtue of a prime Uisque "Whiskey" by mixing it with gun powder.... if it didn't explode, they said it wasn't worth the effort to swallow it.. I would also be hesitant to try this...

Actually the whiskey and gun powder thing is where we get the term proof as it relates to alcohol. All whiskeys were mixed with gun(black) powder and if the mixture was still combustible the whiskey had been proved.:wink:

Actually the whiskey and gun powder thing is where we get the term proof as it relates to alcohol. All whiskeys were mixed with gun(black) powder and if the mixture was still combustible the whiskey had been proved.:wink:

WOW.. I didn't know that! I just thought the Scots were nuts.. :w00t: in a good way mind you... :biggrin:

Thank you for sharing that!!! it's a very interesting fact!

Yep hes right... The term originated in the 18th century, when payments to British sailors included rations of rum. To ensure that the rum had not been watered down, it was “proofed” by dousing gunpowder in it, then testing to see if the gunpowder would ignite. If it did not burn, the rum contained too much water and was considered to be “under proof.”

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A thousand years ago I worked as a steward on a ship on the Eastern Seaboard. The guy in the cabin next to mine was a bosons mate and aside from other things drank 90% alcohol to which he added as much sugar as it could absorb. Talk about a drink that would strip off your tongue! Not a pleasant thing.

I doubt the 2 tsp death but do wonder how it tastes . . . wonderful story.

The people want photos?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh!!

My!!

God!!

Look at all those kegs! My eyes are drooling!

Oh Sue, you need to visit. The aroma of pure Bruichladdich wafting from those barrels was heavenly. Words can not begin to describe the sweet scents of distillate and aged oak floating in the air, nipping at the taste buds, calling us to try some of Jim McEwan's masterpieces.

You know we can use Bruichladdich scented soap. You can even call it "The Coast of Heaven" in honor of the Robin Laing song.

Maybe I should post the ones from the other distilleries? :biggrin:

Top Bottom