What's new

Atra and Sensor help

I like my DE's, but I also like having cartridge razors around for use.

I have a sensor and like it quite a bit. A three pass shave with the Sensor Excel leaves me with as good a shave as I've ever got with a DE, just as if not more comfortable, and in about half the time. Also at 0'dark thirty when I've still half asleep I can use it just as effectively without being as likely to have nicks or irritation. While not as expensive as the Mach 3, the cartridges are still quite pricey IMO. Does anyone make non-Gillette cartridges? Similar to Persona's replacements for trac II and atra?

Secondly the Atra which I have yet to try and would like to. Are there any good sources for handles besides the actual Gillette handles? Similar for instance being able to use Trac II style blades in the commonly available bump fighter handle? Internet searches also turn up the "Vector Plus" handle from gillette. Is this better then the actual Atra handle? Also on the blades, are the Walmart Persona Atra style blades as good as the Trac II style blades?

I can assist you out here. Gillette Sensor blades can be bought at CVS by Personna for about 8 dolllars for a 10 pack.
proxy.php

You can also get the Sensor cartidges in bulk if you buy them here...http://www.otcwholesale.com/gillette-11548.html You can get a decent price if you buy 12 of the 10 backs and buy a years worth a time considering they are nearly 20 dollars for a 10 pack in stores.

As for the Atra handles, you can look up Dridiot on ebay he has the handles for about five dollars shipped but they ship for Singapore and takes about two weeks to arrive. If you want to put a few more dollars in , you can buy a nice one from Col. Conk ... http://www.mygroominggallery.com/Ra....html?osCsid=507032886d72c5ac7e13b3ccf6bb0ff1

^ That happens to be the cheapest place I ever found it and it seems like a dam nice handle. Unfortunately there is no trick that I am aware of that you can buy like the Bump Fighter on Atra handles etc.

And yes the Personna blades are cheaper than the Gillette labeled blades for the Atra and are sharper than Gillette blades.

Last edited:
Internet searches also turn up the "Vector Plus" handle from gillette. Is this better then the actual Atra handle? Also on the blades, are the Walmart Persona Atra style blades as good as the Trac II style blades?

1. The Vectors have more plastic in them, from what I've heard. I would try to find an original Atra metal handle from the 80's.

2. I like Personnas better than Gillettes. I recently bought a 10 pack of Gillette Atra cartridges and they felt very jagged as compared to the Personnas. I was actually getting weepers. I never get cuts with the Atra "Auto Plus" cartridges. They are as good as the TracII clones. I like and use both.

My friend has a metal Gillette Atra handle, probably from when he first started shaving (he is 36). It's pretty nice looking. I would definitely try to find one of those.

Man...nice find indeed :rolleyes: The Atra silver handle...Why to get a Col.Conk Atra replica when you can have the Original one?!

The Personna Tri-Flexx cartridges and their store brand counterparts will fit a a Sensor handle. However, a Gillette Sensor cartridge will not fit a Personna Tri-Flexx handle.

-Clarke

Thanks to this thread I picked up some CVS sensor cartridges for my touch ups and super fast shave needed days.

Hope'n to try'm out in a few days..... Thanks

Gillette Sensor blades can be bought at CVS by Personna for about 8 dolllars for a 10 pack.

My understanding is that the Personna "Sensor" cartidges don't have the floating blades that characterize the Gillette Sensors. Rather, they have flexible, fixed blades that are more similar to the Schick Tracer. This doesn't mean the Personnas aren't good in their own right, but if you're expecting them to be reasonable facsimiles of genuine Sensor cartridges, you might end up disappointed.

My understanding is that the Personna "Sensor" cartidges don't have the floating blades that characterize the Gillette Sensors.

My theory is that the "floating" blades of the Sensor led to the dreaded "pushing cartridge into the face" shaving technique.

Do Mach 3 and Fusion also have these "floating" blades?

1. The Vectors have more plastic in them, from what I've heard. I would try to find an original Atra metal handle from the 80's.

I had a Vector handle, it's cheaply made, and it weighs close to nothing. It even rattles like a cheap dollar store toy. I think a Bic Sensitive has more weight than an Vector handle!!

I would avoid it at all costs, as it is nothing like the original Atra handles.

Tried the CVS sensor blades today, gotta say they shaved as good as the Gillette branded ones. I got a good deal local CVS had buy 1 get 1 50% off. Made price even better.

I'm not sure if they'll last same number of shaves but I'll be trying to find out soon.

My theory is that the "floating" blades of the Sensor led to the dreaded "pushing cartridge into the face" shaving technique.

Do Mach 3 and Fusion also have these "floating" blades?

Yes, the Sensor was the first razor to incorporate the "floating" blades, and that feature has been retained both in the M3 and Fusion. Your theory about that feature leading to applying more pressure has some merit, although some people like the design of the Sensor, myself included. The point I was making, though, was not to comment on the merit of the feature, so much as to point out that the "floating" blade is the Sensor's defining characteristic. Accordingly, the Personna versions are fundamentally different insofar as they have fixed blades, and some people who buy the Personnas looking for a true generic version of the Sensor might be disappointed. Although Bandit certainly appears happy with them.

I don't think the floating blades led to the pushing into the face technique so much as they allowed for it. People use more pressure because it cuts faster, problem is it also cuts the user faster and leads to razor burn. THe floating blades allow for more error on this end more so then leading to it.

Hey Abdiel,

If you want an Atra, I can send you my little Gillette that I bought from DrIdiot free of charge as long as you cover shipping if you want as I have a newer one coming in the mail, this way you don't have to bother going international if you don't want.

My friend has a metal Gillette Atra handle, probably from when he first started shaving (he is 36). It's pretty nice looking. I would definitely try to find one of those.

I have both the metal and plastic Atra handles. I much prefer the feel of the metal one.

Top Bottom