What's new

Screaming from his grave.

OK I am not an insensitive person, but enough is enough.
Am I the only one who is wondering *** is up with seeing - and worse, hearing - Billy Mays on TV months after his death?
Honestly, I didn't find him half irritating when he was alive and hawking some interesting items. I actually found his approach far less insulting than a whole host of other commercials for products that solved problems we didn't know we had.
You know like not being able to crack an egg or open a can without being maimed or starting a fire in a school someplace. Who are these people anyway, and wouldn't we all be better off if some of them did die of their own ineptitude before they reproduced ... or replicated ... or whatever they do down in Darwin's waiting room.
But I digress, the late Billy Mays is still screaming at the top of his lungs just to be heard. I understand that he died from some sort of COPD complications, so it makes sense if he had to use his limited lung capacity to speak that he would shout. OK I get it. But the man is dead, stop showing the commercials already.
I know it's all about the money, and that makes me feel even worse ... for society.

I don't know. I listen to Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, SRV, Doors, etc., etc., etc., all the time, and it doesn't bother me that the lead performers are pushing up the daisies. Those commercials are Billy Mays' legacy. His estate probably continues to profit from them, which will help his widow and children (assuming he left a family, of course). I don't have a problem with it.

I don't know. I listen to Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Frank Zappa, SRV, Doors, etc., etc., etc., all the time, and it doesn't bother me that the lead performers are pushing up the daisies. Those commercials are Billy Mays' legacy. His estate probably continues to profit from them, which will help his widow and children (assuming he left a family, of course). I don't have a problem with it.

There's at least one son who's also in advertising. I seem to have read somewhere that it was really a family business of sorts.

With all respect to the dead, I found his commercials annoying when he was alive. But, he got results from all indications.

I have no problem with it. A lot of the music I listen to and books I read were created by people long gone, some of them by a couple hundred years or more.

There's at least one son who's also in advertising. I seem to have read somewhere that it was really a family business of sorts.

With all respect to the dead, I found his commercials annoying when he was alive. But, he got results from all indications.

I agree with you 100%, Rich, but that hasn't changed for me one way or the other just because he's gone to meet his maker.

Last edited:
This isn't surprising. They'd exhume Abraham Lincoln and pay two actors to beat each other with his femurs if they felt it would sell more products.

Marilyn Monroe still graces quite a few dormroom walls, and I doubt many of her numerous admirers give much thought to the current state of her figure.

At least, I hope they don't.

That would be more than a bit creepy.

Hmm.

I think I just ruined my own evening with that train of thought ...

Marilyn Monroe still graces quite a few dormroom walls,

I have a neighbor who emulates Marilyn.

Billy Mays had a voice with qualities that cuts through almost any background noise. It wasn't so much volume, rather it was the tonal qualities along with the slight raspiness that grabbed the ear.

I figure Billy will fade out before too long because products are usually refreshed (NEWER!!! BETTER!!!) to be kept in the public eye and his spiels will be obsolete.

However, I *am* disturbed that the Peanuts comic strip is still running - way too long after Charles Schulz died and even longer since it had any humor or relevance in the world of today. Just a pet peeve of mine.

I figure Billy will fade out before too long because products are usually refreshed (NEWER!!! BETTER!!!)

Ron Popeil has been selling the showtime rotisserie in the same infomercial since 8-8-98.. So we could have 10 more years of Billy Mays

Billy Mays always fascinated me. His pitch was just like the old boardwalk pitchmen I saw at Atlantic City in the '50s, except compressed to a shorter time.

Perhaps that childhood memory kept him from being annoying to me.

When they had the "Pitchmen" show I watched every episode and was happy to learn that he was really a stand-up guy and loved by all who had any dealings with him.

The tribute show they had after his death was quite touching. The pall bearers and most everyone at his funeral wore Mays' trademark blue shirt and khaki pants.

Last edited:
I'm guessing by his still being on TV his family is still receiving income. I'm glad there are still being provided for after his death.

I'm guessing by his still being on TV his family is still receiving income. I'm glad there are still being provided for after his death.

Yes, I thought about that, but from what I saw of his situation on the Pitchmen show the family didn't look like they'd be hurting no matter what.

Top Bottom