What's new

Events on your birthday

Thought I'd start up a thread I thought would be neat.

So anyways, I thought of posting up something that is special or happened on your birthday (news,events, ect.)

First- March,15,1983

couldn't find any neat things other than my b-day is the Ides of March.

Mt. Saint Helens blew up during my third birthday party--at least, it blew a little earlier, and the news of it came through during the party. Since I grew up in Oregon, it was fairly close to home, and kind of put a damper on things, I gather.

Not exactly my birthday (I was born on the 17th), but close.

Notable Events, May 23
In 1701, Capt. William Kidd was hanged in London for piracy and murder.

In 1900, Sgt. William H. Carney became the first black to win the Congressional Medal of Honor, for his efforts during the Battle of Fort Wagner, S.C., in June 1863.

In 1939, the U.S. Navy submarine "Squalus" went down off New Hampshire in 240 feet of water. Thirty-three of the 59 men aboard were saved in a daring rescue with a diving bell.

In 1960, Israeli agents captured Nazi war criminal Adolf Eichmann in Argentina and spirited him back to Israel, where he was tried, convicted and hanged.

In 1988, Maryland Gov. Donald Schaefer signed the nation's first law banning the manufacture and sale of cheap handguns, known as "Saturday Night Specials."

In 1991, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld federal regulations prohibiting federally funded women's clinics from discussing or advising abortion with patients.

In 1994, four men convicted in the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center were each sentenced to 240 years in prison.

Also in 1994, former first lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was laid to rest next to her first husband, President John F. Kennedy, in Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

In 1995, a man with an unloaded handgun climbed over a fence and ran toward the White House. He was tackled by one Secret Service agent and shot and wounded by a second.

In 1997, Mohammed Khatami, a "moderate" who favored improved economic ties with the West, was elected president of Iran.

In 2002, Archbishop Rembert Weakland of Milwaukee acknowledged paying $450,000 in church funds in response to a claim that he had sexually assaulted a graduate student, then 33. Weakland, 75, who retired after the 1998 settlement became known, denied any sexual misconduct.

In 2003, a modified version of President George W. Bush's tax reduction proposal got final congressional approval when Vice President Dick Cheney cast the tie-breaking vote in the Senate.

In 2004, a double-decker ferry carrying more than 200 passengers sank off the Bangladesh coast during a storm with fewer than half of the people reported surviving.

Also in 2004, a 2-day Arab summit ended in Tunis with a commitment to the Middle East peace process and a condemnation of Israel for its actions against Palestinian people.

In 2005, Newsweek's chairman said the magazine would restrict the use of unnamed sources in the wake of an item that alleged desecration of the Koran, sparking violent riots and forcing a printed retraction.

Man...most of my birthday's events involve terrorist attacks and death.

Fitting I guess, I was born during a tornado. Seriously, it took out a bridge near the hospital.

A few from April 5th.......

1531 Richard Roose, boiled to death for trying to poison an archbishop

1792 George Washington casts 1st presidential veto

1896 1st modern Olympic Games officially opens in Athens

1915 Jess Willard KOs Jack Johnson in 26 for heavyweight boxing title

1951 Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, atomic spies, sentenced to death

1963 Beatles receive their 1st silver disc (Please Please Me)

1965 Lava Lamp Day celebrated

1971 U.S. Lt Wiliam Calley (My Lai Massacre) sentenced to life

1974 Then tallest building, World Trade Center opens in New York City (110 stories)

A couple from Oct. 1st.....

Holidays:
International Day Of Older Persons
World Vegetarian Day est. 1977 (I celebrate my Birthday with a steak & chicken dinner)

Events:
1903 1st game of modern World Series - Boston Americans vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
1908 1st Ford Model T goes on the market for $825

AND if your birthday falls on Oct. 1, you share your birthday with these important people, just to name a couple....

1910 Bonnie Parker (of Bonnie & Clyde Fame)
1920 Walter Matthau
1924 Jimmy Carter
1935 Julie Andrews
1956 TinFish
1963 Mark McGwire
1976 Dora Venter

– Hong Kong police forces attack the ICAC headquarters.

– Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols is released in the United Kingdom.

Should be October 28, 1977

Last edited:
I was born on June 23rd, 1972. I made my way into this world amidst some pretty significant chaos; I was born when Hurricane Agnes was wreaking havoc on the area where I was born (southern Finger Lakes region). According to my parents, I was very nearly born in the car, as they struggled greatly to even get to a hospital. From Wikipedia:

Hurricane Agnes was the first tropical storm and first hurricane of the 1972 Atlantic hurricane season. A rare June hurricane, it made landfall on the Florida Panhandle before moving northeastward and ravaging the Mid-Atlantic region as a tropical storm. The worst damage occurred along a swath from central Maryland through central Pennsylvania to the southern Finger Lakes region of New York...

From the same Wikipedia entry, my D.O.B. was also the day that:

President Richard M. Nixon and White House chief of staff H. R. Haldeman are taped talking about using the Central Intelligence Agency to obstruct the Federal Bureau of Investigation's investigation into the Watergate break-ins.

Remember, remember the fifth of November.

I was born on the day Guy Fawkes skipped the attempt to try and destabilize the British Govt through a series of political battles and headed straight for the gunpowder.

Super Bowl X: The Pittsburgh Steelers defeat the Dallas Cowboys 21–17 at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida.

Full diplomatic relations are established between Bangladesh and Pakistan 5 years after the Bangladesh Liberation War.

The Scottish Labour Party is formed.

From July 30th through the years:

1863 – Indian Wars: Chief Pocatello of the Shoshone tribe signs the Treaty of Box Elder, agreeing to stop the harassment of emigrant trails in southern Idaho and northern Utah. (I'm an Idaho native so this was interesting to me.)

1864 – American Civil War: Battle of the Crater – Union forces attempt to break Confederate lines at Petersburg, Virginia by exploding a large bomb under their trenches. (The Crater was *much* bigger in person than I realized - freaking huge!)

1945 – World War II: Japanese submarine I-58 sinks the USS Indianapolis, killing 883 seamen.

1956 – A joint resolution of the U.S. Congress is signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, authorizing In God We Trust as the U.S. national motto.

1965 – US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Social Security Act of 1965 into law, establishing Medicare and Medicaid.

1971 – Apollo program: Apollo 15 Mission – David Scott and James Irwin on Apollo Lunar Module module, Falcon, land with first Lunar Rover on the moon.

1975 – Jimmy Hoffa disappears from the parking lot of the Machus Red Fox restaurant in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit, at about 2:30 p.m. He is never seen or heard from again. (I had nothing to do with this - no matter what anybody says.)

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I remember one particularly, when I was 15 a guy climbed a tower in Texas

1794 - Whiskey Rebellion begins
1831 - London Bridge opens to traffic
1936 - Adolph Hitler opens 11th Olympic Games in Berlin
1944 - Anne Frank's last diary entry; 3 days later she is arrested
1960 - Chubby Checker releases "The Twist"
1964 - Beatles' "Hard Day's Night, A," single goes #1 & stays #1 for 2 weeks
1966 - Former marine Charles Whitman kills 13 & wounds 31 at U of Texas
1978 - Commandos occupy Iraqi embassy in Paris, 1 dead
1978 - Pete Rose goes hitless, ends his 44 game hitting streak (ties NL)
1986 - Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia release from hospital after 3 week coma
2008 - Ended Chemo & radiation

Birthdays
10 BC - Claudius, Roman Emperor (d. 54)
1819 - Herman Melville, US, author (Moby Dick, Billy Budd)
1924 - Yvonne DeCarlo, actress (10 Commandments, Lily-Munsters)
1933 - Dom DeLuise, Bkln NY, comedian (End, Cannonball Run, Fatso)
1942 - Jerry Garcia Grateful Dead-Uncle Joe's Band)
1951 - YT
1952 - Nancy Lopez, professional golfer

539 -BC- Babylon falls to Cyrus the Great of Persia
1422 - Charles VII of France becomes king in succession to his father Charles VI of France
1618 - English adventurer, writer, and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against James I of England.
1682 William Penn lands in what will become Pennsylvania
1787 - Mozart's opera Don Giovanni receives its first performance in Prague.
1792 - Mt. Hood (Oregon) is named after the British naval officer Alexander Arthur Hood by Lt. William E. Broughton who spotted the mountain near the mouth of the Willamette River.
1811 1st Ohio River steamboat leaves Pittsburgh for New Orleans
1833 1st US college fraternity to have a fraternity house founded
1929 - The New York Stock Exchange crashes in what will be called the Crash of '29 or Black Tuesday, ending the Great Bull Market of the 1920s and beginning the Great Depression.
1940 Sec of War Henry L Stimson drew 1st number-158-in 1st peacetime military draft in US history
1942 16,000 Jews killed in Pinsk Russia
1942 - Holocaust: In the United Kingdom, leading clergymen and political figures hold a public meeting to register outrage over Nazi Germany's persecution of Jews.
1942 Alaska highway completed
1945 1st ball point pen goes on sale, 57 years after it was patented
1956 - Suez Crisis begins: Israel invades the Sinai Peninsula and push Egyptian forces back toward the Suez Canal.
1960 Chartered C46 carrying Cal State's football team crashes, kills 16
1960 Muhammad Ali's (Cassius Clay's) 1st professional fight, beats Tunney Hunsaker in 6
1964 - A collection of irreplaceable gems, including the 565 carat (113 g) Star of India, is stolen by a group of theives including Jack Murphy from the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.
1969 - The first-ever computer-to-computer link is established on ARPANET, the precursor to the Internet.
1980 - Demonstration flight of a secretly modified C-130 for an Iran hostage crisis rescue attempt ends in crash landing at Eglin Air Force Base's Duke Field, Florida leading to cancellation of Operation Credible Sport.
1991 - The American Galileo spacecraft makes its closest approach to 951 Gaspra, becoming the first probe to visit an asteroid.
1998 - Space Shuttle Discovery blasts-off with 77-year old John Glenn on board, making him the oldest person to go into space. He became the first American to orbit Earth on February 20, 1962.

Born on this day
1017 - Henry III, Holy Roman Emperor
1656 (O.S.) - Edmond Halley, English astronomer
1859 Charles Ebbets (namesake of Ebbets Field, Brooklyn)
1897 Paul Joseph Goebbels Nazi propagandist
1944 - Denny Laine, English musician (Moody Blues and Wings)
1946 - Peter Green, English guitarist (Fleetwood Mac)
1947 Richard Dreyfuss Brooklyn NY, actor (Jaws, Nuts)
1948 Kate Jackson Birmingham Ala, actress (Rookies, Charlie's Angels)
1961 Randy Jackson rocker (Jacksons-ABC)
1965 Steven Sweet Wadsworth Ohio, heavy metal artist (Warrant-Cherry Pie)
1971 Winona Ryder [Horowitz], Mn, actress (Heathers, Edward Scissorhand)

Died on this day:
1038 - Aethelnoth, Archbishop of Canterbury
1618 Sir Walter Raleigh is executed in London
1877 - Nathan Bedford Forrest, American Confederate general and leader of the Ku Klux Klan
1885 George B McClellan Union army general, dies at 58
1901 Leon Czolcosz assassin of President McKinley, is executed
1911 Joseph Pulitzer American newspaperman, dies in Charleston, SC
1957 Louis B Mayer MGM producer, dies at 71
1971 - Duane Allman, American musician

My birthday is on Nov 11, Veterans' Day, which I've always thought was cool, and when I was little my mom was a draftsman for the U. S. Army Corp of Engineers, and got Nov 11 off as a Federal holiday, which meant she got to stay home and make my birthday cake, which was very cool.

:cool:

I just feel so lucky to share a birthday with OJ Simpson, Courtney Love and Bon Scott of AC/DC. July 9 is apparently the birth date of some wicked screwed up people. And then there's me...

The second most important thing to have occurred on November 17, 1959 -- Willie McCovey was named National League Rookie of the Year.

:biggrin1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom