What's new

First straight question

Hello gents,

I am putting my Christmas wish list together and I would like to get my first straight is THIS from rup razor a good first set? I have read some good and some bad reviews about the gold dollar razors. I would apreciate any and all advice.

Thank you. GK

If you get one that's straight and true, its an average blade for a low cost.

If you can afford to do so and consider longer-term str8 shaving, I suggest you buy solingen, perhaps a Dovo to start off with or maybe a second-hand shave ready str8 of reputable ancestry from the B/S/T.

The blade you referenced has poorer quality steel and a higher number of quality control failures.

That's Kenrups (from SRP) site isn't it? I've never used one yet but I keep hearing good things about these razors, on SRP people are often talking about trying to organise a group buy as they are really cheap if you buy 100+.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I never used one but the vendor has a very good reputation.

Unless someone can confirm if this is a good starter kit, I would pick something, shave-ready, from BST. You will only need a strop afterwards.

I know I would probably get a better quality razor off the BST but I need to make a wish list for my family and I think sending them here would be too complicated for them.

Luc

Staff member
I know I would probably get a better quality razor off the BST but I need to make a wish list for my family and I think sending them here would be too complicated for them.

Unless...

You get the money to pick it :biggrin:

Otherwise, yes, webshop! As long as it's shave-ready you're good!

Yes to the filly strop, no to the Gold Dollar.

I started with the combo, and to be honest, wasn't very happy with the GD blade. The filly is great, and I like Ruprazor's stuff so much that I've subsequently bought a Paladin strop.

It wasn't until I bought a professionally honed good quality razor(Dovo and then a TI- yes, the ADs hit HARD!!) that I really truly enjoyed the straight shave. I have subsequently gone back to the Gold Dollar after I have learned a bit more, to make sure it was the razor I didn't like, and not just poor technique. Still didn't like it at all, and am using it to practice honing now.

I am in the UK, and go through the Invisible Edge, but for a US based guy, there are many reputable web sources. Here is a link to some DOVO razors at SRD, and I'm sure the US guys can point you in the way of more online places that you can use for your Christmas list.

http://straightrazordesigns.com/ind...ath=44&zenid=beecc54059b6c2565944d88999322093

Agreed. You get what you pay for with the Gold Dollar. Keep in mind they cost $10 without the pro honing, fixing of scales, fixing of edge, etc that Ken does.

Also keep in mind that the bottom priced Dovo costs about 2x the price with pro honing.

That said, in my opinion the Dovo is more correctly termed "average" quality razor. I group quality into four categories: worthless, below average, average, above average. Also keep in mind that vintage razors are cheaper because they aren't new. New commands a premium.

Cool,
Thank you for the leads guys, I will do some more homework before I make a decision, if anyone else know of a web store where I can get a good set in the $100 range please let me know. Greg

Luc

Staff member
Nice link Awoisme,

What do you guys think of THIS one?

That looks good. I don't know the website but I'm sure someone might over here to give you a review on the honing/service/etc.

If you get one that's straight and true, its an average blade for a low cost.

If you can afford to do so and consider longer-term str8 shaving, I suggest you buy solingen, perhaps a Dovo to start off with or maybe a second-hand shave ready str8 of reputable ancestry from the B/S/T.

The blade you referenced has poorer quality steel and a higher number of quality control failures.

Have you actually tried one? Or are you basing that on other's opinions of them?

I know Leighton and Awoisome have, and have given their opinions of them, which is certainly valid.

I like them, but also have a definite slant to my view of them, so I'm not an unbiased judge. Take that FWIW, certainly.

EDIT:
I will say that for the most part they do not have that same "feel" that you can get from an exceptional Solingen blade, that magic "sweet spot" that we all crave. A had a Bartmann recently that gave me the longest lasting BBS...., it was truly wonderful. And I have another Solingen blade that is always super-sharp, yet always feels very smooth and gentle on the face.

Of the 20-30 GDs/Das that I have honed up, most have been at least very capable shavers, only one was not able to be made shave ready, and one that I honed up a couple days back gave me a shave as close and comfortable as any razor I've yet tried.

Last edited:
LOL! Hmm, shrunken them, worked the backs, new tips, jimps, thumbnotches... is there anything you haven't done to them yet?

Well, I'm glad you asked!

My team of researchers and engineers has come up with this recent invention!

I took three GDs, and spot welded them together.

Just imagine, three, thats' right, three passes in one!

I'm thinking of calling it the Mock III razor.:w00t: Gillette lawsuits be damned!:biggrin:

Top Bottom