What's new

Do buy or RYO cigarettes?

I am not sure why I am posting this but I am curious...for those of you out there who smoke cigarettes, do you buy your smokes or roll your own? I do not smoke cigs however I do roll cigs for family members who do smoke. I find I like the smell of tobacco and I find making cigs to be fun. It seems to be much cheaper to roll your own and also you can make all sorts of custom cigs for different tastes. What are your thoughts on this?

I don't smoke cigarettes usually but I have experimented with RYO cigarettes using pipe tobacco, usually with decent results.

I roll using different papers and make with an injector. The injector fills premade filtered (on not) cigarette tubes. The tobacco from smaller firms has a lot less chemicals, usually only flavorings. As a result, you don't get the stale and chemical smells. My favorite roll is Bali Shag blue in a chocolate Blunt Wrap. A Blunt Wrap (the one I'm talking about, since there's another kind) is a thick sheet made from pressed, processed tobacco, that's smooth and light, not anything like a typical cigar leaf. It's also fun to roll using transparent papers, but they give off a waxy taste and smell. Finally, when I'm really in the mood, there's nothing like taking one huge hit... err inhaling puff of rolling tobacco from a nice pipe. Yes, it's cheaper, but I do it for the quality.

And, yes, I occassionally smoke a pipe with pipe tobacco, but don't often smoke cigars. I've been nursing my last can of J L Pease's Raven's Wing for years.

Last edited:
I am pretty much using pipe tabacco, filter tubes, and a manual injector machine to roll the cigs. It is in-expensive to do and cheaper for the smoker to buy. I do have a box of JR Alteritives around for me in a homemade humador....20 or so, that I may puff on a few a year but that is about it for me smoking anything. From my local smoke shop I am getting 1LB of pipe tabacco and 600 tubes for around $15.

I started "stuffing my own" about 3 years ago. I find I smoke fewer cigs than I did when I smoked Winstons and I don't wake up hacking anymore. Using the tubes and a machine I can knock out a pack in less than 10 minutes. My consumption went from about 2 or 3 packs a day to just over 1 pack. The quality is so much better I literally cannot choke down a Winston anymore; I know because, in a pinch, I tried.

It used to be that a carton would cost less than $10. Since April, that tax on a pound of cig. tobacco went from about $1.10 to $23.75. That is not a typo. The lb. I used to buy for ~$13 is now about $40. So, the mfg's started cutting the cig. blends to qualify to be used as pipe tobacco and taxed accordingly. Now a carton costs about $13 using "pipe" tobacco.

BTW, that 2000% tax increase was done at the behest of the cig. mfgs., notably Atria, and their army of lobbyists. Evidently they felt threatened by the miniscule but growing RYO market and want to equalize the costs of a pack of their carp and a pack of RYO. So, they managed to transfer all the revenue that would have come from a 0.50 tax increase on each of a billion packs onto the shoulders of about 500,000 RYO smokers in the form of a $22/lb increase on raw tobacco. But just in case you're listening, Atria; BITE ME!! I couldn't smoke your garbage if I wanted to. I will either quit or grow my own tobacco first.

Top Bottom