What's new

What hair product gives a greaser look?

I'm going to a Halloween party on Saturday night and thought it would be cool to go as Don Draper from Mad Men. The question I have is how did people in the 50's and 60's get their hair slick? What products are available today that give that effect and can be washed out by the next morning. I really don't want to go slick after the party unless, like Don Draper, I get all the women hanging all over me. :001_smile

Thanks for the help.

+1 on the Brylcreem. Another option would be Groom&Clean. You'd find it on the shelf right near the Brylcreem for around 4 or 5 bucks. It's a gel, it also smells great and it will definitely give you the greaser look. Its second ingredient is mineral oil, so if you use a lot of it, it may take a couple lather, rinse, repeat cycles to wash it out.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
+1 on the Brylcreem. Another option would be Groom&Clean. You'd find it on the shelf right near the Brylcreem for around 4 or 5 bucks. It's a gel, it also smells great and it will definitely give you the greaser look. Its second ingredient is mineral oil, so if you use a lot of it, it may take a couple lather, rinse, repeat cycles to wash it out.

I always loved taking the tube of Groom & Clean and tapping it against the sink just to hear that gel inside going "boingggggggg".

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Either will work really, the Brylcreem is definitely harder to wash out though.

Good luck on your look!

Wow, I found the opposite to be true for me. The Groom&Clean took several shampoos to get out, but the Brylcreem was mostly gone just with the water from the shower. A little shampoo, and it was poof!

proxy.php

You can find it at Walgreens obviously or $1.25 at Family Dollar :lol:

Murray's, Royal Crown, or Three Flowers. Vaseline will also work fine. Murray's will be the best for hold, Royal Crown for shine.

Murray's, Royal Crown, or Three Flowers. Vaseline will also work fine. Murray's will be the best for hold, Royal Crown for shine.

Yep Vaseline will give you the greaser look. Might as well use motor oil. :biggrin:

#1 in the Murrays. Look for it at Walmart.

Ah, my favorite topic, drugstore/classic hair grooms. I am a huge fan of both Brylcreem and Groom & Clean, however, Wildroot might be the best choice for this effect. It can be found at Walgreens and CVS right next to the Brylcreem in what looks like a bottle of Armour All. It has the consistency and smell of sun tan lotion and the secret is to use about a handful (I know it sounds like a lot, but the look here is greaser). Also, it has better hold than both Brylcreem and Groom & Clean. Lately this has become my favorite hair groom and I have found it to give the classic 40s-50s side part effect better than any other product.

Another option would be straight mineral oil (this is the ingredient of old Vaseline hair tonic) or Tres Flores liquid brilliantine if you can find it (also straight mineral oil). DOUSE your hair in this and you will be more greaser than you can handle.

proxy.php

Here's another tip...to really get the authentic look smooth over the greased hair with a military or "club" hair brush. You will look like you just stepped out of a Wildroot or Brylcreem ad from the 50's. The ladies will be impressed.

proxy.php

I don't know why I love the way Brylcreem smells so much. Go Figure!

"A little dab will do ya''.

My mother said when my uncle was a kid in the '50's, he'd steal lard from grandma's lard tub and use it as his slick-back hair treatment. She'd yell at him for stealing it and chase him from the kitchen while swinging a rolling pin.
When they would swim at the local quarry, Mom said he'd leave an oil slick.

They were really poor. But granny made GREAT fried chicken!

Ya' can't make great fried chicken with Brylcreem.

Last edited:
+1 on the Groom & Clean.

I think it's easier to get out...rinses away with water.

Less than a quarter dab will do the trick. I'm thinking of doing Don Draper for Halloween as well and this will be my product.

As a regular Groom and Clean user-( I wear a Don Draper style daily), I will tell you if you use about a quarter sized dollup you will get a deep shine and defintely have a greaser look, it is very easy to wash out, and even if you use more, it would come out in 2 washings at most. I recently got some of the wildroot that Augustiner mentions, this stuff does hold a bit better and definitely gives a greaser shine. If you need some more hold or lift, you can always mix any pomade with the groom and clean and get a nice hold.

I will tell you from experience the greasiest look will come from Royal Crown HairDressing- see picture in previous post by soda pop jones. Just beware it will be harder to wash out. I used to use this to slick my sides back when I sported a pompadour. If you want some ideas of how to style it for your party- go to: http://www.hawleywoods.com/ and click on view our cuts. This guy specializes in the 50's styles and he also has extensive picture on his myspace site.

Good Luck

Top Bottom