What's new

Daily ATG

Perhaps as a concession to my obsession, I have begun to shave daily and really like the clean feeling when I leave the house so I think this habit a keeper. However, I have noticed that I get razor burn if I go ATG on my neck on consecutive days. This morning I used my least aggressive lineup (48-50 SS, new Derby blade) and did my normal preshave prep, and I still got razor burn. Quickly patched up with a cold water rinse and some Rose Pedal Thayers but still a drag. Since going ATG on my neck is the only way to get BBS on that spot, I think I will just have to live with the occasional ATG shave and settle for DFS on a regular basis. Others have similar issues?

That was an issue for me for the first month or two of DE shaving. As I cannot get a great shave without doing ATG everywhere, I thought it would just be something to bear. But the neck irritation has abated. I know that I consciously think to use little pressure when I do my neck(I tend to press other places), and my neck lets me know when my lather-building has been "off". Also, my neck tends to show the effects of a rough blade more than any other area of my face, so the smoothness of different blades is very apparent. That is one reason why I love the Iridium Super.

I have the same issue on my neck. I use a late 40s ss and derby blades, like you, or a merkur hd and derby blades. I just live with a close but not super close shave on my neck.

BBS is nice if you can do it, but it's not always worth it if you get burn, irritation, ingrowns, etc.

A good looking DFS is better than a BBS that leaves you looking like you need medical attention.

I've been wet shaving for about two months now, and while I am still working on my technique, I've found my neck to be really sensitive (had the same problem with cartridges). I can go BBS on my cheeks and chin areas, and even under my nose if I am really careful. However, on my neck I've learned to live with slight stubble. The best I can usually do is an extremely light pass, and I don't think it's that noticeable.

I can get away with atg on my face everyday as for my neck i get away with it for a few days but then get the red marks which always seem at the bottom of my neck so i tend to leave the atg on my neck a day or 2 then throw in another atg and this works fine and i hope the more i de shave anf my skin adapts the more chance i can do atg each day.

I can get away with atg on my face everyday as for my neck i get away with it for a few days but then get the red marks which always seem at the bottom of my neck so i tend to leave the atg on my neck a day or 2 then throw in another atg and this works fine and i hope the more i de shave anf my skin adapts the more chance i can do atg each day.

I've definitely noticed that my skin has adapted as well. It's weird, but even with no pressure and the right angle, it just took a while for my skin to be able to handle ATG. It wasn't that I changed anything over time (prep was the same if not more extensive in the past, same blades, razors, soaps and creams, angle, pressure, etc.), but before, I couldn't handle ATG at all.

I've definitely noticed that my skin has adapted as well. It's weird, but even with no pressure and the right angle, it just took a while for my skin to be able to handle ATG. It wasn't that I changed anything over time (prep was the same if not more extensive in the past, same blades, razors, soaps and creams, angle, pressure, etc.), but before, I couldn't handle ATG at all.

+1

When I returned to blade shaving -- and it didn't seem to matter which kind of bladed instrument used -- ATG would do a job on my neck. But after a couple of months, the irritation has largely disappeared. Could be better technique and a lighter touch. But I suspect the skin on my neck has just toughened up a bit.

I've stopped ATG on the neck nine days out of ten. I still look great, and I feel great, I go the extra step for dinner dates with SWMBO on the weekend.

I have a couple of areas on my neck that cannot tolerate daily ATG, regardless of technique or equipment selection. On the days when ATG is not tolerated, I settle for light to moderate XTG. Except for me, no one would every know.

Top Bottom