What's new

Hard to find a watch for me?

For our anniversary, my wife bought me an automatic watch. She mostly bought it because she heard me say that if I bought myself a watch, it would be an automatic self-winding movement, because I have always thought those are cool. I also need a dress watch for interviews, church, etc. but I've never had a "real" watch. I typically wear $25 timex analog watches which last a year or two. I haven't bought a good watch because I have never found the watch that matches all my requirements. Never seen one for sale. This one she bought me actually comes pretty close.

She bought me some Kenneth Cole thing at Dillards for $150. The coolness is that it's clear both at the top and bottom, so that you can see the movement. It's kind of silly that the bottom is clear considering it's against your arm, but this is very addicting when I look at my watch and see the little gears in there doing their thing. Very cool. A real machine; I can see the state of winding by looking at the spring. But after wearing it for a bit I think I should take it back and buy something a little better. The main gripes I have with this one is it's fairly thick, it has a very gay "Kenneth cole NY" black writing right across the crystal, you can't see the hands in the dark, and there is no date.

There are bazillions of watches out there so how do you narrow it down? I have absolutely no brand loyalty. Is there a "watch selection wizard" out there? I've found it nearly impossible to watch-shop online without just clicking through thousands of random men's watches. This is what I want

MUSTs:
-automatic movement
-leather band NOT metal
-visible at night (tritium?)
-second hand
-ALL numbers must be present and accounted for (except maybe 3 if there is a date); roman or arabic doesn't matter much
-Modest size and appearance, no gold. Stylish but not fancy. I'm an engineer; the stainless-leather-and-gunmetal appearance of this watch is acceptable.
-affordable: to me this means <$300

NICEs:
Date, no other complications needed or wanted, no diving dial wanted
Visible movement HIGHLY desirable.

You are wanting another one other than what your wife bought you? Making sure I'm reading correctly. Sorry, it's late here. :)

Based on the style alone I suggest starting here...

Go to ebay and type in GOER. It's a brand of watch I think you will like. They're extremely affordable.

Two cautions:

Some are manual winding watches. They are not "automatic".

The leather bands SUCK! You'll want to get a new band stat.

But, they're beautiful for the money and quite well made. I have about 4 of these in my vast collection.

Yes....the watch my wife bought me miraculously fulfils several of my requirements--"No Gold", "Automatic", "Numbers plz" and "No metal band", while adding a new one--"Skeleton movements are really cool"!

I suppose I should just shut up and wear it especially at $150, but the Kenneth Cole writing annoys me greatly; conspicuous branding is just an extreme peeve of mine, plus I can't see it at night and there's no date.

However shopping for watches reminded me that nobody makes watches with me in mind and it's nearly impossible to find a skeleton watch, in silver, with a leather band, and numbers, and luminous hands, at seemingly any price. When I do find one, it's sure to be out of my price range.

If you want a skeleton watch it won't be very readable. None really are. You probably want a pilots style watch which has just about everything you want, readable, descent lume,stainless steel, leather band. Check out Archimede watches. They don't use tritium anymore except for watches containing tritium glass tubes and only a few companies make em. Most use Luminova. Also check out Seiko.

This might be off topic a little bit, but shouldn't you keep the watch your wife gave you for your anniversary? You don't want to accidentally hurt her feelings by returning it. And I know sometimes women say, "Oh if you don't like it, you can return it. I don't mind" But even though they mean it most of the time, I think they get an extra bit of satisifaction knowing that what their man is satisfied with their purchase. Just a thought.

If the Kenneth Cole thing really bugs you, you can always buy another watch for yourself somewhere down the line. Then you'll have two awesome watches that you can swap back and forth! :)

Perhaps you can get the crystal replaced with a non-inscribed one by a good jeweler. Then all you're missing is the date and the nighttime visibility.

- Chris

Indeed, if I could get rid of the writing, I could live with this one quite handily. I suppose it sounds crazy but it really is that big of a deal. I can't imagine writing ON the crystal so you have to look through it to see the watch. It boggles the mind.

If you want a skeleton watch it won't be very readable. None really are.
This one isn't too bad, with numbers all the way around. I don't like number omission or number skipping. THIS one isn't too bad either, but it's kind of...gold.

This might be off topic a little bit, but shouldn't you keep the watch your wife gave you for your anniversary?
I think she means it when she says taking it back would be OK, but you are probably right. Also, I genuinely need some sort of watch...I flatter myself in expecting to be interviewing for some jobs in the near future. Nothing says I have to wear it every day.

They don't use tritium anymore except for watches containing tritium glass tubes and only a few companies make em.

Why is this? I suppose legal regulation? I suppose it was just too neat to have tritium watch dials and something had to be done about that. I hate the world sometimes.

Why is this? I suppose legal regulation? I suppose it was just too neat to have tritium watch dials and something had to be done about that. I hate the world sometimes.[/quote]

They found the handling of the stuff was a health hazzard to the workers. The Tritium tubes are made through automation so no one has to really deal with the stuff. Once manufactured the radiation does not leak out through the glass.

Tritium is perfectly legal, but you need a permit to use it in the US. I have 2 tritium watches, but the wife adopted one of them... :redface:

Radium isn't used because some radiation escapes the watch (not just beta radiation like from tritium)
You will also get radioactive dust inside the watch with radium.

Radium has several advantages (longer half life etc) and can be found in some older watches

You want a nice dress watch. Something timeless yet functional.

I recomend a Hamilton Khaki Automatic.

Has the following features:

Scratch Resistant Sapphire Crystal
Stainless Steel Case
Date
Luminous Hands
Automatic Movement - ETA 2824-2
100 Meters Water Resistant
22mm Lug Width
42mm Case Width

This is something that could become an heirloom.

Please check it out and good luck with your search.

Tritium is perfectly legal, but you need a permit to use it in the US. I have 2 tritium watches, but the wife adopted one of them... :redface:

Radium isn't used because some radiation escapes the watch (not just beta radiation like from tritium)
You will also get radioactive dust inside the watch with radium.

Radium has several advantages (longer half life etc) and can be found in some older watches

It may be legal with a permit however there are no watches being produced using tritium and there haven't been for at least 10+ years or so. Maybe in China they do but they probably couldn't import them here. Seiko used promethium instead of Tritium but they also stopped using it in favor of Luminova and Super Luminova which is what is universally used now save the tritium tubes of course.

has a decent reputation among watch nuts. You can check out timezone.com - it's the Badger & Blade among watch fanatics.

Check out the Henley and Malvern men's models. They have display backs (glass backs) that allow you to admire the automatic movement. They're decent ETA movements and the fit and finish of the watches is supposedly very nice. They're a British company but have a US website. The prices are at the limit of your budget - just over $300 for the most affordable models.

Christopher Ward USA website

For our anniversary, my wife bought me an automatic watch. She mostly bought it because she heard me say that if I bought myself a watch, it would be an automatic self-winding movement, because I have always thought those are cool. I also need a dress watch for interviews, church, etc. but I've never had a "real" watch. I typically wear $25 timex analog watches which last a year or two. I haven't bought a good watch because I have never found the watch that matches all my requirements. Never seen one for sale. This one she bought me actually comes pretty close.

She bought me some Kenneth Cole thing at Dillards for $150. The coolness is that it's clear both at the top and bottom, so that you can see the movement. It's kind of silly that the bottom is clear considering it's against your arm, but this is very addicting when I look at my watch and see the little gears in there doing their thing. Very cool. A real machine; I can see the state of winding by looking at the spring. But after wearing it for a bit I think I should take it back and buy something a little better. The main gripes I have with this one is it's fairly thick, it has a very gay "Kenneth cole NY" black writing right across the crystal, you can't see the hands in the dark, and there is no date.

There are bazillions of watches out there so how do you narrow it down? I have absolutely no brand loyalty. Is there a "watch selection wizard" out there? I've found it nearly impossible to watch-shop online without just clicking through thousands of random men's watches. This is what I want

MUSTs:
-automatic movement
-leather band NOT metal
-visible at night (tritium?)
-second hand
-ALL numbers must be present and accounted for (except maybe 3 if there is a date); roman or arabic doesn't matter much
-Modest size and appearance, no gold. Stylish but not fancy. I'm an engineer; the stainless-leather-and-gunmetal appearance of this watch is acceptable.
-affordable: to me this means <$300

NICEs:
Date, no other complications needed or wanted, no diving dial wanted
Visible movement HIGHLY desirable.

There are numerous Tritium watches available in Canada, the U.S. and Europe. I own two Marathons and two Trasers. To the very best of my knowledge, there is no "licence" required.

The best known are the Luminox brand, which are reputed to be pretty tough.

The cheapest of them are the Smith and Wesson brand but those are all battery driven.

Traser makes an automatic, very rugged looking watch. Bad news is it is about 150 more than your budget.

Marathon makes several automatic tritium watches but they all fit into the "diver" watch (large) and are on the expensive side, more than the Traser.

You can get quite a variety of military surplus tritium watches. I list these separately because they are manual winding and most are getting halfway through the half-life of the tritium sources (although they remain very bright).

I hope some of this helps. My "daily driver" is a "sterile" hand-wind Marathon, with no markings of any kind, excepting the "H3"

As per what MichaelG said, timezone.com is a good source and so is http://www.watchuseek.com/.

Regards,

- John

Last edited:
At your stated price point, I would definitely stay away from GOER or the other Chinese watches. Who knows whether they will last or whether they will fall apart? I would stick with a quality watch like Seiko or Orient (Japanese). Have a look at Orient's offering's here: http://www.orientwatchusa.com/watches.php Orient is a high quality brand like Seiko, but only marketed in Asia. You can find Orient watches on eBay and through dealers on the web. I have one of their higher end Orient Star watches and love it. They make some skeleton and semi-skeleton models, many auto models and some with power reserve indicators as well.

Last edited:
At your stated price point, I would definitely stay away from GOER or the other Chinese watches. Who knows whether they will last or whether they will fall apart? I would stick with a quality watch like Seiko or Orient (Japanese). Have a look at Orient's offering's here: http://www.orientwatchusa.com/watches.php Orient is a high quality brand like Seiko, but only marketed in Asia. You can find Orient watches on eBay and through dealers on the web. I have one of their higher end Orient Star watches and love it. They make some skeleton and semi-skeloton models, many auto models and some with power reserve indicators as well.

I have an Orient automatic on my rist right now. I am hard on watches and this one is holding up without complaint. The quality, styling, fit an finish are all very good. It is far better than you would expect for the price. Orients are availalbe dirt cheap at Amazon.com. If you don't like what you see, pay a lttle more money and get an automatic Seiko, also at Amazon. Both Seiko and Orient automatics are extreemly good values.

Dave

It may be legal with a permit however there are no watches being produced using tritium and there haven't been for at least 10+ years or so. Maybe in China they do but they probably couldn't import them here. Seiko used promethium instead of Tritium but they also stopped using it in favor of Luminova and Super Luminova which is what is universally used now save the tritium tubes of course.

Tritium is always in a tube, it won't work otherwise.

A manufacturer needs a permit to make items using tritium in the US. Not sure how much getting one is now, used to be a few thousand dollars.

Sverre

There are some very nice Russian watches, not very expensive, and keep fairly good time. I have a Denisov, which is dead on accurate (but manual wind). I also have a Vostok Europe which is automatic, but a little less accurate. It does have an exhibition case (clear bottom) and leather strap. Try Russia2all.com, they are nice to deal with and reliable (and I have no interest whatsoever). For overall quality and accuracy, my choice is always Omega, while they are expensive, they just exude quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom