What's new

Birthday Dinner

So my parents are coming out to visit me for my 21st birthday, and we're going to a place called The Capital Grille. I saw the menu and they have a dry aged Porterhouse.

I've never had a dry aged steak and would normally just order a filet mignon, so can anyone tell me what the difference is?

I assume your parents are going to buy you something to drink since it is your 21st.

Please, Please, do NOT let your first legal drink be Coors Light.

Also, if you're friends are going to ply you with beer and pizza, remember these famous words by a Purdue Engineering Co-Op Student.

"If you must drink beer and eat pizza, take small bites. The cheese comes up easier that way."

Actually whisky was my first drink, I just had a sip of Macallan 12... Also my first drink. That probably wasn't the best choice, tastes like nail polish remover and apple juice.

So my parents are coming out to visit me for my 21st birthday, and we're going to a place called The Capital Grille. I saw the menu and they have a dry aged Porterhouse.

I've never had a dry aged steak and would normally just order a filet mignon, so can anyone tell me what the difference is?

Worked in a Cigar store in Boston years ago.

Had events at the Capital Grille were we would supply/sell cigars at the restaurant.

You know the three ingredients for "male bonding" alcohol, tobacco and red meat.:biggrin:

Well anyway the Capital Grille steaks are great.

Enjoy!

I guess dry aged means hung. Steak should be hung for 4 weeks after slaughter. I have a huge rib of beef in my freezer ready for Christmas dinner it is jet black in colour and will be delicious. :001_smile

I guess dry aged means hung. Steak should be hung for 4 weeks after slaughter.
It can be hung, but it doesn't mean it should be hung. People debate on whether wet vs dry aging produces a superior flavor. Additionally, there are different lengths of aging which produce varied results. Typically a well marbled cut of meat is required to be properly dry aged.

To the OP, since it is a special occasion, maybe trying something different that you normally wouldn't order is a good idea? That said, if you're a pretty "bland" eater in general, a more intense/different flavor could ruin the experience for you. As with anything, YMMV and what I like you might not.

Not to fear though, if you do it right, you won't remember the steak anyway :wink::biggrin:

Actually whisky was my first drink, I just had a sip of Macallan 12... Also my first drink. That probably wasn't the best choice, tastes like nail polish remover and apple juice.

Ah, youth. . . .

+1

At 21 I would like to think I could have appreciated The MaCallan 12 but probably not. Give it a few years and a few drinks and you will find out how good nail polish remover and apple juice is.:smile:

Happy Birthday

Never having tasted nail polish remover, I can't comment on that.

You might enjoy the Laphroaig 10 - Listerine with a kick. :biggrin:

It is the preferred drink of Prince Charles.

I am a big fan of dry aged steaks, but I would call the difference subtle. You might not be impressed enough to want to pay for it again, but I don't think you would be unhappy with it either.

I got the following from AAB on the Primo Grill Forum

Dry Aging: Beef that is dry-aged is allowed to hang unwrapped for a period of time under controlled humidity, temperature, and airflow in a professional grade refrigerator. The meat loses a large quantity of moisture, which concentrates the flavor, reduces the original weight by nearly a fifth, and tenderizes the meat. Only the best cuts of beef graded Prime or Choice are aged in this manner, so the cost can be quite high.

Wet Aging: Wet aging is similar to dry aging except that the beef is wrapped in heavy plastic wrapping (Cryovac) while it ages in order to prevent the loss of moisture. It is aged in controlled conditions in a professional refrigerator. Because there is no loss of moisture, the flavor does not become as concentrated as with dry aging.

Aged beef should not be confused with old beef, which refers to beef that has come to the end of its shelf life in the supermarket meat case. A green or brown steak is NOT aged...it is OLD! Proper aging is done with whole primal cuts, not individual steaks.

Well, I ended up having a filet mignon, it was spectacular. I also had a Cabernet Sauvignon, which I didn't particularly like... I think the alcohol taste is overpowering everything else, given that I've never had alcohol before.

Top Bottom