What's new

What do you do while the towel is on your face?

Just like the title says, what do you do with the few minutes that you have a towel on your face?

I guess I'll provide some background on this question. I've been truly wetshaving for about 3 months now. Been using my Merkur HD and Derby blades then entire time, along with some Gentleman's Quarter cream. I'm about out of blades and cream, and have ordered a blade sampler as well as TOBS Avacado and Mugso cream.

So, for the last 3 months I've used nothing but the same Derby blades and HD. Wanted to concentrate on my technique and get that down before I changed anything.

The shaves haven't been particularly good, but I generally don't do a ATG pass because it causes ingrown hairs along my neckline. However I have learned alot, and really want to start experimenting.

I've read Kyle's prep, and noticed that I already do alot of it. I currently prep mostly in the shower. I'll turn the shower on and let the water heat up. Meanwhile, I fill up the sink with hot water, splash some on my face, and rub in some cream with my fingers for a minute or so. Then jump in the shower. After a few minutes, I"ll put a hot wet towel on my face, and let that sit for a few minutes. Seems to get the hair soft enough.

So I was pondering over my increased water bill, and wondered if I would do better to follow Kyle's prep to the letter, either before or after the shower. The thought occurred to me though, that I would just be standing there waiting on the towel to do it's thing. So, what do some of you do while you have the towel on your face? Or do you have an ingenious way to hold the towel to you face so that you can use both hands?

Also, about the ingrown hairs, does anybody have any suggestions? Typically I won't get them unless I do an ATG pass. I always remember to do a WTH and XTG pass beforehand. I rarely get any razorburn after shaving, but the next day I pay for it when (what I believe are) the ingrown hairs show up. It usually makes shaving painful and I have to take a day off.

I would also like to note, that the only post shave that I do is splash cold water on my face a few times, then put on some Nivea cooling balm.

Last edited:
I generally just hold the towel there and let it do its magic.

If you're getting ingrowns, there's a host of factors. Your razor and/or angle may be a bit on the aggressive side. Also, your blade may not be the sharpest/smoothest one for you; it would be wise to order a sampler pack of blades from John at www.westcoastshaving.com, and see which one is best for you.

You also might be one of those sorts that simply cannot do an ATG pass. We have a fair amount of them here on the forum that get razor burn and ingrowns when they do it.

I generally just hold the towel there and let it do its magic.

If you're getting ingrowns, there's a host of factors. Your razor and/or angle may be a bit on the aggressive side. Also, your blade may not be the sharpest/smoothest one for you; it would be wise to order a sampler pack of blades from John at www.westcoastshaving.com, and see which one is best for you.

You also might be one of those sorts that simply cannot do an ATG pass. We have a fair amount of them here on the forum that get razor burn and ingrowns when they do it.

Agree with all of this. Have you tried doing two XTG passes in opposite directions? I have found I can get DFS doing this. I can get BBS on the cheeks and parts of my neck if I go ATG, but the risk of irritation often shy's me away.

I guess another factor maybe that I keep the same blade in the razor for about a week. Which is really only about 4 or 5 shaves. Is that typically a good amount of time to keep one blade around?

I guess another factor maybe that I keep the same blade in the razor for about a week. Which is really only about 4 or 5 shaves. Is that typically a good amount of time to keep one blade around?
My beard is coarse...and my skin is sensitive. This is a real double whammy for me, and many others on the forum are like this. I don't care what blade it is, three shaves is my absolute limit, and even then, that can be pushing it. Blades are cheap enough as it is, why keep that blade in your razor? Two or three shaves and toss it.

I don't use a towel. I do let the lather sit on my beard for two minutes, but since I'm a free man I brush my teeth.

My dentist says he'll recommend this to all his male patients...:biggrin:

Anything I want. My flannel has loops. I stick them over my ears and tuck the bottom into my robe. :biggrin:

Great idea!
I've only tried this a few times and the towel has either fallen off or I've been annoyed I had to kink my head back so far to keep it on!

If I am doing a morning shave, I don't use the hot towel on my face as my whiskers will get plenty wet and hydrated in the shower. If I am going for an evening shave I will soak my brush in hot water while I soak my face with hot water...and I usually have NPR on my lil portable radio. Get informed while I shave!

I've always liked my towel pretty hot and wet (to the point of being a bit drippy), so I sit on the porcelain throne with the Pyrex bowl I use to heat the towel on the floor between my feet and put my elbows on my knees and hold the towel to my face with both hands, sort of sitting there like an early morning gargoyle resting my face in my hands. The water drips into the bowl and I get to rest my neck and relax.

These couple of minutes are MY time, all mine. I'm not allowed to think about anything important. No politics, not work, just stuff I want to think about. 2-3 minutes is a nice treat, and I have learned to turn it all on and off over the years. It's a great way to center your head for the day. It also helps clear your mind for the shave itself, which leads to better results.

I don't mind the hot towel time at all... In fact sometimes it ends up stretching closer to 5 or 10 minutes. It's an enjoyable process, so I figure why fight it?

What you do during the 1-10 minutes you've got a hot towel on your face is a big YMMV situation. Here are a few of the things I sometimes do:

1. Pray. It's a good time for it... I'm not doing anything else, and I'm already relaxed.
2. Let my mind wander - pretty much wherever it wants to go, as long as it doesn't go somewhere serious. I don't want to think about anything stressful while I'm in a state so relaxed I should almost be falling asleep.
3. Think about shaving (which I guess is kind of a given :lol:). Inevitably when doing so, I start thinking about B&B, my support group of like minded escaped mental patients. Seriously though, I love you guys (and gals) :biggrin:.

[snip]

These couple of minutes are MY time, all mine. I'm not allowed to think about anything important. No politics, not work, just stuff I want to think about. 2-3 minutes is a nice treat, and I have learned to turn it all on and off over the years. It's a great way to center your head for the day. It also helps clear your mind for the shave itself, which leads to better results.

Awesome. Although I rarely take the time to do it this way, this method seems to me to be directly at the center of what I hope shaving can become for me. A routine to be enjoyed instead of dreaded. Thanks for the perspective.

K

When the warm wet towel...in my case wash cloth is on my face I am normally listening to music and and swaying to the tunes knowing I am about to have me a great shave.

Top Bottom