What's new

Parker SRW Straight?

Hi guys,

I've been browsing eBay and came across this item. Basically it looks like a Parker shavette of some sort. Has anyone here had any experience with these? Are they worthwhile for a persone keen to learn to straight shave but who's saving up for the real deal?

Thanks

I've never shaved with a shavette but from what I've heard they are less forgiving than a regular straight razor. If I were you, I'd probably just put the money toward a real straight. If you go vintage you should be able to get a shave ready razor for a decent price.

Thanks Kent, that's where I've started leaning too since I first posted this thread. I've got a few straights in mind, but just need to save my pennies to get the razor and strop...they are very pricey as I'm in Australia and straight shaving seems to be a distant memory here!

I have no knowledge of them either, but noticed this same package is offered on Amazon at around the same price. They also list a "Parker SR2" from the same manufacturer that has a metal handle, but is cheaper since it is only packaged with a few blades.

dont bother.

i know some guys like shavettes but I dont. Theyre not at all like using a real one, and you'll end up selling it. Just save a little more and get a proper one

I have one made by Sanguine that looks very similar to this, and I use it quite a bit. Check out some of PZBarber's threads and posts; he gives barbershop shaves with them, using the half-blades made by Derby. I think of it as a middle ground between a real straight and a DE. I can't speak for the Shark blades, as I have only used Derbys and IPs.

I ordered 2 a while ago. I will do a review when they come. I found a local store which is also carrying them if anyone in vancouver wants one

Oh really? I thought they were metal...I should have posted earlier...just got back from Vancouver! I'm looking forward to your review...

From what the seller told me. It's stainless steel arms and plastic scales. I have no other straights to compare it too so I'll ask my friend to try it and tell me what he thinks. The review will b based on what he says.

Hey, my parents had an 89 Cressida, pretty luxury for Toyota. What color is yours? Theirs was metallic blue.

Same colour. Lol luxury yeah of course considering it cost more than a corvette and it was in the same class as a BMW 7 series.

Mines has pacesetter headers and fatback exaust and rebuilt engine from bottom to end :)

Top Bottom