What's new

Hello everyone and good evening from the Northeast

Good evening everyone from a shave newbie and lurker for a couple weeks. I've been working on my technique now for a week and voraciously watching and reading everything I can get my eyeballs on. My wife, who is a wonderful woman (hence we've been married now for 7 years), got me a couple books, including Leisureguy's for my birthday. I've watched Mantic's videos, which are wonderful and informative, and I've lurked a HUGE amount on the forums, especially looking at the reviews.

So far, I've gotten myself a:
Merkur HD
EJ Best Badger Brush
Derby Extra Blades

On the way, I've got:
Mama Bear's Soap
Spieck(sp?) Aftershave Splash

I'm waiting, almost patiently even, for the other items. Unfortunately, since I don't have any shave soap yet, I'm using my DE with regular canned foam. :rolleyes:

I started out with the Derby blades for several days, but was getting a lot of nicks and doing my best to not get discouraged. I finally decided to change away from the Derby blades after trying two to make sure that it wasn't just a 'bum blade' and using them for a week to make sure it wasn't totally my technique, either of which were possiblities. After six days or so of 'facial hamburger', I decided to switch to the blade that came with my Merkur and see what happens for a few shaves.

Surprisingly, my shave was the best I'd gotten so far. Not perfect, but much better. I still had some nicks, but I was much smoother. Even the afore mentioned wife thought it was greatly improved. Tonight, I did what I'd been doing again, replicating the technique that worked for me as well as using the Merkur blade. Tonight's shave was the best so far.

I've still got a bit of learning to do, that's for sure, but I'm getting there, I'm happy to say. As my father would say, "Rome wasn't built in a day." Look forward to learning new things and can't wait for my soap to get here so I can try the new brush.

In any event, I just wanted to say 'Hello, I'm a newbie", thanks for the great forum filled with wonderful information, reviews, and encouragement.

Welcome. I really like the Derby blade. Probably #1 in my book. I know from others that some blades are better in some razors and some not. I use a Merkur Futur and have had good luck with the Derby, not so much with the Merkur blade. Since you are so new to DE shaving I would not form any exact opinions. Just use what is best and after your techniques improves you may find that the blades that were not good then are better now. There are also a lot of other variables to consider including lather, prep and technique. Good luck, you have come to the right place for help.

Hello and welcome to B&B.

Two thoughts.

EASY on the razor. Let it glide and do its job.

Second, you're gonna enjoy the Mama Bears soap. They're top notch. And the scents are wonderful.

Welcome to B&B mate!

+1 to what Mkevenson said!

Nice choices on the brush and razor, you will enjoy those for a long time to come I am sure! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I would also advise to get a razor blade sample pack!

Once your soap arrives you'll want to spend some quality time with it, learning about brush loading and lather building.

Get yourself a blade sampler. While there are many Derby lovers around here, my experience mirrored yours. Beyond that, I found blades that worked better than the Merkurs. West Coast Shaving is a good destination for sampler packs.

- Chris

Welcome to a new world of shaving. In my view, the lather is the most important aspect of getting a good shave. Once you have learned how to create consistently good lather with your brush, you will notice substantial improvement in your shaves. Since you have not yet experienced what really good lather is, you will be amazed!

My experience with Derby's pretty much are like yours. Get yourself a sample pack. My best results have come from Isreali Crystals, Red Packs, 7 Oclocks, and Feathers. YMMV but different razors love different blades

Top Bottom