What's new

My 6 month checkup (with questions)

So I've been using my Merkur HD for about six months now almost exclusively. I must confess that for the first 3, I used my Mach 3 to touch up problem areas such my chin. I'm still using it to touch up the mustache area, but I'm starting to phase that out thanks to Mantic59's video on moving my nose out of the way.

My journey in trying to find a blade that works for me is chronicled over in the razor blade forum, so now I'm convinced what's left is to fix my technique. Can you gentlemen give me some advice on shaving the chin? I don't have a cleft, but I'd love any advice you guys have on how to get the proper angle around the curve from the bottom to the front.

One other thing that's been bothering me is that I am having to go from my north-south pass directly to a south-north on my neck. If I try an XTC east-west, I end up scratching the crap out of my neck and leaving weepers. It hurts.

Along with the Merkur HD and my Evelyn & Crabtree Best Badger brush, I've been using TOBS St. James cream. I've also been using Kiss My Face unscented, but I'm going to retire it when it runs out. It just doesn't offer enough protection. I have Proraso and Nancy Boy creams that showed up on Friday, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I settled on the Swedish Gillette blades after trying a bunch. The Feathers were too aggressive for me, but they weren't the nightmare that the Israeli Crystals were. I wouldn't wish those on anyone. After the shave, I'm using witch hazel and Nivea balm for sensitive skin.

A huge thanks to B&B and Mantic59 for showing me the way. I used to dread shaving in the morning and had a painful or itchy neck most days. I actually look forward to shaving now.

First, I can suggest some chin work; make funny faces to flatten out the area, then take short, planned strokes to ensure proper blade angle and pressure. You may have to come from different angles and use different pass directions (WTG, XTG, or ATG) but with practice you will find what works. As far as the curvature--or mandibular symphysis, to keep my self fresh for my test this week--I have found that sticking the chin out and doing a right-to-left followed by a left-to-right on the next pass seems to take care of things. For me, this is WTG then ATG. My touch ups for this spot are going S-N, which is XTG.

Second is the neck. I suggest confirming both the direction of growth and where it changes--heck, four months in I found a spot that grew in the very opposite direction than I thought it did. And I though I new my beard!:blush:

Also be sure you have the proper angle and pressure--my neck doesn't tell me I screwed up until after I am done and I apply my aftershave splash. Try going only WTG, paying extra attention to where the direction changes, for a solid two weeks. See what happens, and adjust from there. Perhaps using a Gillette slide or J-Hook will improve things.

Hopefully this helps. My six months is pretty dang close. Sometime closer to the end of the month.

The best way to do the chin is to learn to ski the slope for what it is. You can practise while watching tv. Glide the razor over those curves without a blade and feel both the head and safety bar on your face. It's also a good are to practise doing figure eights and other curves, especially going over the jaw.

It sounds like the grain on your neck is west-to-east. Again, one good way to tackle it is to use a curve, starting from the easier direction ending just slightly ATG. It'll take a few more strokes this way.

Top Bottom