What's new

just bought a gillette adjustable have questions

Our antique shops are not as inexpensive as some of yours but this store has a cache of razors I will be going back too all $15.00

I just bought a black handled TTO Gillette Adjustable Razor, it opens and closes smoothly and tightly It just has the gillette seal, Pat. OFF., made in USA, Reg US, and it looks like the single digit 3 set on the edge by itself on the underside of the head

I've cleaned it and gave it an alcohol soak and am ready to try it out I'm assuming 1 is the smallest blade gap and 9 the widest what setting would you recommend for a first shave?

Last edited:
Just a tip in case - apparently when adjusting, you're supposed to open the silo doors slightly. Otherwise it may damage the mechanism.

Just a tip in case - apparently when adjusting, you're supposed to open the silo doors slightly. Otherwise it may damage the mechanism.
That's right, just gives the mechanism room to move. Then when set, you you dial the TTO right in.

3-3.5 is a good initial setting for gillette adjustables. Remember to loosen the head between adjustments. And you can increase or decrease your settings according to each pass when (in time) you work out the settings that works for you.
I prefer to leave my adjustables on 6 nowdays.

Does this razor have a name LOL it's a gillette blankity blankity blank LOL

It's called a Gillette Super Adjustable. It's sometimes called a long handle Super Adjustable since there was also one made with a shorter TTO knob.

It's a very nice razor at a good price. Congratulations.

- Peter

A setting of 3 has the same blade gap as a Gillette redtip superspeed, which is regarded as an aggressive shaver. I think that the aggressiveness of the redtip is overstated, but let that be your guide. If you have sensitive skin/light beard then I would go with 1, average in both I would use a 3-4, higher if tougher beard/skin. Start low and work your way up until you find the right setting for you, and I would suggest a rather forgiving blade to start with like a Derby, go to more aggressive blades as your technique increases.

Enjoy the shaves, there is nothing like a vintage Gillette to deliver the best shaves of your life. :thumbup:

I have a long handled O-1, which I believe is the first date code for this razor, and a short handled U-2. Both shave nicely with a variety of blades. I'd say the long handled SA is a must-have in a good collection of more recent Gillette DEs.

I've used the razor today I'm working with a 5 setting right now over the face and 8 under the jawline got a nice comfortable shave :smile:

Top Bottom