What's new

Traveling

I am a new convert to DE shaving and don't think I can go back! I am now concerned about the Holidays as I will be visiting in laws for about 6 days and need to do something about shaving. I will be flying and that is my primary concern. Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to bring DE blades on carry on? If not does anyone have any suggestions as my plan at this point is to bring a little VDH soap and brush and then just scrounge up some disposable bics but I'd really like to be able to DE shave for the family functions etc. Thanks!

Welcome to B&B!

Take the blades on checked-in baggage or post them out before you get there. It will save a lot of hassle. The razor (minus blade) is fine on carry-on.

Hughies_online has you covered. Blades are OK for checked bags, but strictly verbotten for carry-on.

Where do your in laws live? Most drugstores and large megamarts carry DE blades made by American Safety Razor and then re-branded.

If it was me, I'd take advantage of the situation and mail them a small gift, mark it "don't open 'till we get there" and drop a five pack of my favorite blades in the box. That way, you get double bonus points for being a thoughtful son-in-law and you have your favorite blades available to you.

I definitely want to carry on so checking a bag is out. I do like the gift equal sending myself my blades option though! I'm going to the twin cities so I could see if I can find a place that carries blades as well.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm sure you can find something locally in a pharmacy or supermarket. It might not be your favorite blade but it will do for a few days.

If I'm seeing family, I would mail myself some blades.

I just flew for the first time with a DE last weekend. One tip: although legit, the razor itself will garner some attention. My experience is that my bag was scanned then rescanned, then hand checked then scanned again hand checked a second time (at which point I specifically directed the personnel to my razor in order to get some progress) then scanned a final time. So quite rediculous to say the least. Next time I may try putting it in my jacket pocket or something so they can get to it quickly without unpacking my entire bag.

I just flew for the first time with a DE last weekend. One tip: although legit, the razor itself will garner some attention. My experience is that my bag was scanned then rescanned, then hand checked then scanned again hand checked a second time (at which point I specifically directed the personnel to my razor in order to get some progress) then scanned a final time. So quite rediculous to say the least. Next time I may try putting it in my jacket pocket or something so they can get to it quickly without unpacking my entire bag.

I travel a lot and noticed TSA will key on the razor. Now I place the unloaded razor in my 1 qt. ziptop bag that allows them to go right to it saving everyone time.

Check those blades, don't even consider placing them in your carry on.

Top Bottom