What's new

The $8 Fat Boy (and other antique store finds).

I'll post updated (cleaned up) pictures later. Went to an antique mall (over 200 different dealers represented in booths) this afternoon. Spent a couple of hours looking in all the locked cases of all the booths, made a few interesting finds/purchases. Some items I paid either "too much" or the going rate for. Some were bargains. You can be the judge.

First up (and first item I bought) is a '60 Fat Boy for $8. Liked the price, it is dirty but appears like it should clean up really well. Since I've got a 4th quarter '58 from my birth time, I may flog this one on the 'Bay to offset some of the RAD costs I've been adding up.

proxy.php

This one, marked as a WWII German razor. :confused: Where do these folks do their research? 1911 Single Ring Gillette, no case, had to "rescue" it and bring it home. It's destined to shine brightly once again. I'll be on the look out for another case for it too. Cost of this one was $18 after a 10% discount.

proxy.php

GEM, a Micromatic (I think?). Don't really care for the cosmetics, but it is a reasonably clean piece, complete with the box and blade box. It was $6.50. How could I refuse?

proxy.php

proxy.php

The long comb NEW (no cracks in handle) and the Old Spice mug (my first, unless you count the one from eBay that arrived shattered :mad:) were in a booth where everything was 50% off. Wasn't really interested, but at these prices ($6 for the NEW and $3 for the mug after 50% off), I couldn't refuse.

The blade cases were maybe high. The metal one is really clean, diamond logo on end (need to research that to see what set/era it goes to). It was $12 and the tan one (again, research) was $10. Again, not everything seemed like a total bargain, but then nothing seemed excessively high either (or I would have left them!).

All in all, I think it was a good day!

That NEW looks just like my "Goodwill"..... Does that have the blade bar...???

You'll have to excuse me,,, I'm a bit new to this razor model identification....

Thanks guys, I think most of the prices were great. Those that weren't bargains were still quite reasonable (I think I've spoiled myself to bargains!).

The 1911 Single Ring was a real treat (wasn't sure of the date until I got home). Already had a 1910 and a 1912, so it fits right in!

pm me if you want to unload that long comb new.
Thanks, but I think this one will be staying. While I have picked up a few NEWs in lots, my others all have the bar handle (and one has the Deluxe head). So this one is in fact unique to the collection.

That NEW looks just like my "Goodwill"..... Does that have the blade bar...???

You'll have to excuse me,,, I'm a bit new to this razor model identification....

This one does have the bar and stamped slot. IIRC, the Goodwill had a rather unique head configuration. I've not yet seen one in person. Haven't seen many for sale either.

Two great sources for info/pics on razor ident. are Mr. Razor's site and AsylumGuido's Three Piece Razor Identification thread.

Externally,, that razor does look just like my Goodwill... Pretty neat... Internally,,, the goodwill has two diamonds stamped upwards into the comb piece in the same location where the old styles would have the two cones passing down through...

Good scores...!!!

The GEM is a Micromatic Bullet. As you can see it has the solid saftey bar in front and is a fairly gentle razor as far as the SEs go. I also picked up a bullet this weekend, but mine has a fair bit of brassing on both handle and head. Let me know if you don't find it to your taste, I'd gladly find a good home for it in my SE commune I'm building over here.
Over all great finds!!!

Top Bottom