What's new

Hello From Houston, TX

Hello to one and all from Houston. There is a common thread to a lot posts on how and why a bunch of guys came to join Badger and Blade, and mine is no exception: Get rid of the nonsense and find what matters for a close, clean and comfortable shave.

My moment of epiphany came as I was shaving with my Gillette M3 and contimplating going to a four or five blade system. That is when I remembered an old Saturday Night sketch poking fun at the new Gillette two blade razor with tag line "because you will buy anything."

My three blade system didn't shave any better than my two blade system which didn't shave any better than my old DE razor, which as far as I can remember was never considered a system of any kind, just a shaving razor. I suspect shaving with a four or five blade razor won't be any different, just more expensive. I wish I had my old Gillette DE back now.

For me the a fine shave is a sharp blade, a shaving cream or soap that is lubricates the skin and shaving first with the grain and then against the grain, using short strokes. Follow that with a toning aftershave and an aftershave balm and I am ready to take on the world. I guess that could be a system of sorts.

Anyway, that lead me a to a Google search looking for DE blades, the Merkur HD Safety Razor and Badger and Blade. I think there may be more men than we realize who changing their thoughts on shaving. A couple of the places I looked where back ordered on the Merkur HD. Mine should be here any day now and I can't wait.

Dave LeBlanc

Welcome Dave, I don't think you can go wrong with the HD.

It was my first razor and is still my favorite.

I now own every razor imaginble from the vintage gillettes to modern merkur's and the Merkur HD is used 99.9% of the time (with feathers).

It is truly a superb razor.

Welcome fellow Texan! You can find some of the great products mentioned here in your hometown at British Isles shop in the Rice village. Good luck.

Welcome! Another Houstonian, nice!

Agree with the previous recommendation, definitely check out British Isles, they've got a great selection.

definitely welcome! You'll find friendly folks here who will be delighted to give you any kind of help you ask for (and some you don't ask for) with any issue involving shaving. We're all in search of that perfect shave, and every so often we find it. But when we do, we realize that tomorrow's another day.
BTW--I'm with MJS who wrote that his best is the Merkur HD Classic with Feather blade. Unbeatable, in my judgment. But of course, there will be others who will weigh in with their choices. that's what makes this forum fun. and before you know it, you will find yourself with an incurable affliction that has various manifestations: SCAD, SBAD, RAD, and a few others. Enjoy!
:thumbup1:

Yippeeeeeeeeeeee! It's Christmas again, round two. My new Merkur HD is here and it is a real beauty, bright and shiney. I can't wait until tomorrow morning.

Thanks to everyone for the friendly posts.

yeah, it's funny that i've heard more than a few men change because the tip in scales of having so many blades, i mean you get to the point where you finally start to question the advertising and wonder what the heck is going on... then you do a little research into shaving history and before you know it you start shaving with tools that were designed 100 years ago. i think the shaving market has pushed a few people off the bandwagon with their latest and greatest inventions (though probably not enough to really make any dent whatsoever to their sales considering the evergrowing youth population of today).

Top Bottom